X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• terminating parental rights? Georgia

Hello,
    I'm wondering about terminating rights. Here is a little background:
    I share legal custody of my 4 year old son and the father has visitation rights. In the last year (2008) he has seen his son 2 days in a row, and thats it. He cannot keep a job or a residence. BUT CS is paid. Since our custody hearing he's accrued about 5 arrests, 2 are felonys.
    My background is pretty squeaky clean.

I'm interested in considering parental terminating. I'm not sure if he would agree to voluntary or not. Would someone else have to adopt my son in place of the dad? If he agreed to voluntary would we both need lawyers? If he didn't agree would I have a chance?

Originally posted by JustJane07 View Post
    Hello,
    I'm wondering about terminating rights. Here is a little background:
    I share legal custody of my 4 year old son and the father has visitation rights. In the last year (2008) he has seen his son 2 days in a row, and thats it. He cannot keep a job or a residence. BUT CS is paid. Since our custody hearing he's accrued about 5 arrests, 2 are felonys.
    My background is pretty squeaky clean.

I'm interested in considering parental terminating. I'm not sure if he would agree to voluntary or not. Would someone else have to adopt my son in place of the dad? If he agreed to voluntary would we both need lawyers? If he didn't agree would I have a chance?
    You cannot just remove the father from the child's life.... unless there is someone else willing, able and agreeable to the court to assume that responsibility AND the father is willing to sign over his rights.... or you can have him declared unfit.

You would be surprised at the number of people CURRENTLY in prison that haven't been deemed unfit.
    Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Originally posted by cyjeff View Post
      You cannot just remove the father from the child's life.... unless there is someone else willing, able and agreeable to the court to assume that responsibility AND the father is willing to sign over his rights.... or you can have him declared unfit.

You would be surprised at the number of people CURRENTLY in prison that haven't been deemed unfit.
      I appreciate your response- thank you cyjeff.
      Last edited by JustJane07; 01-28-2009, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Rather than pursuing termination of his rights, you could pursue a change in custody status - ending his right to visitation - if you have enough proof that his presence would be harmful to the child, that would be easier to obtain than termination.

Best wishes,
        Amy

Comment

Working...
        X