seek more child support X a lawyer Texas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seek more child support X a lawyer Texas

X came to me in 2000 and advised that X was going to be starting law school and asked if I would agree to a reduction in the child support (cut by more than half of what he was originally required to pay) because X would have no significant income. Also advised that X would continue to hold insurance on our son (this was not listed in the modification because X's lawyer said that was a requirement therefore no need to be listed). I agreed to this change. His lawyer drew it up (I can't afford one). Since that time when I have had insurance through my job I have had to carry our son. The support has remained the same for 8 years although he graduated from law school 4 years ago. Our son is in the 11th grade now. The costs have really begun to add up. I have purposefully not asked him for additional money over the years because when I do I am met with temper tantrums, nasty e-mails and lies told to our son. My families financial situation has drastically changed and I need him to pay more. Can I do this without a lawyer and if so what sort of process must be completed? What paperwork must I have? What agency do I go through? By the way I live in Texas but X lives in another state. Does that change the process?

Originally posted by mommieagain06 View Post
    X came to me in 2000 and advised that X was going to be starting law school and asked if I would agree to a reduction in the child support (cut by more than half of what he was originally required to pay) because X would have no significant income. Also advised that X would continue to hold insurance on our son (this was not listed in the modification because X's lawyer said that was a requirement therefore no need to be listed). I agreed to this change. His lawyer drew it up (I can't afford one). Since that time when I have had insurance through my job I have had to carry our son. The support has remained the same for 8 years although he graduated from law school 4 years ago. Our son is in the 11th grade now. The costs have really begun to add up. I have purposefully not asked him for additional money over the years because when I do I am met with temper tantrums, nasty e-mails and lies told to our son. My families financial situation has drastically changed and I need him to pay more. Can I do this without a lawyer and if so what sort of process must be completed? What paperwork must I have? What agency do I go through? By the way I live in Texas but X lives in another state. Does that change the process?
    What state issued the order?

You can file for a modification through the same court that issued the order. You can Google that state's family law forms and laws, that will help you get started. The prior amount cannot be reroactively modified, but you can request that the modification be retro back to the date you filed for the modification.

Comment

I am not familiar with the laws in Texas........ In NC the "absent parent" must maintain health insurance on the child. In order for me (custodial parent) to maintain the insurance myself (which I did by choice) I had to send a letter to the child support enforcement making the offer and agreeing to keep this insurance, otherwise, they would force his employer to withold insurance or provide my son with the states insurance and charge him for it.

So...... what I am getting at is, that if your states standard is that the father must maintain the insurance, and this was not done (forcing you to keep the insurance on him), I would ALSO ask the child support officer about the possibility of him reimbursing you for THAT cost.

Best wishes,
      Amy

Comment

Working...
      X