Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If i give up my parental rights Do i still have to pay CS and The arrears New jersey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If i give up my parental rights Do i still have to pay CS and The arrears New jersey

I have a situation That Has been in my life for over 6 yrs and hopefully Someone here can answer some questions I have.
    Situation is this.
    I have a child That resides in New jersey that i have Never EVER seen other than 1 time when she was 4 months old.She is now 6 plus years old and i have been ordered to Pay child support from the time she was less than a year old due to her mother being on public assitance "Welfare"at the time.
    Her mother is adamant against me seeing or even being a part of her life,she does not share my last name,im not allowed to speak or contact her and im not allowed any visitation at all.I live in nevada and have been on the west coast for over 6 years.Her mother has Been off public assitance for 6 years and was only on welfare for a few months after her daughters birth.My child does not know who i am has never ever met me and couldnt point me out in a line up unless her mother has shown her pictures of me.I have over 30k in arrears and also have a hold on my drivers licence due to this.I cannot earn a decent living due to the lack of drivers licence in nevada and also have 311 dollars taken out of any 2 week check i earn and have had my tax returns siezed.

Here is where i stand as far as my options.
    Can i give my parental rights up and have the arrears and current support lifted?
    Is there a way i can get my drivers licence hold released somehow even if i still have the arrears and current support garnishment?

Or is there another legal option that i can pursue???

Again i havent seen this child Since she was 4 months old and i do believe it is in her best intrest that i not be in her life due to her mothers Apperant Distaste for me and my family.But i also do not want to have to pay support for a child that i have no contact or any say in her life.
    Also i live in Las vegas nevada and have no real clue how to get this resolved one way or another.I really need a drivers licence and have to get this fixed one way or another.

Any and all advice or help will be appreciated

As a custodial parent (Father) that has never received any child support, I have little sympathy with your plight.

If you play, you should pay. A child deserves to know both parents. It is not up to the mother, but the courts. Do the right thing, get in the child's life, and use public transportation. The mother liked you well enough to make a child with you.

On this one you should pay to speak face to face with an attorney. Bring all your paperwork. Without all the facts, nobody here can make a legal "guess" as to what can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by CRT View Post
      I have a situation That Has been in my life for over 6 yrs and hopefully Someone here can answer some questions I have.
      Situation is this.
      I have a child That resides in New jersey that i have Never EVER seen other than 1 time when she was 4 months old.She is now 6 plus years old and i have been ordered to Pay child support from the time she was less than a year old due to her mother being on public assitance "Welfare"at the time.
      Her mother is adamant against me seeing or even being a part of her life,she does not share my last name,im not allowed to speak or contact her and im not allowed any visitation at all.I live in nevada and have been on the west coast for over 6 years.Her mother has Been off public assitance for 6 years and was only on welfare for a few months after her daughters birth.My child does not know who i am has never ever met me and couldnt point me out in a line up unless her mother has shown her pictures of me.I have over 30k in arrears and also have a hold on my drivers licence due to this.I cannot earn a decent living due to the lack of drivers licence in nevada and also have 311 dollars taken out of any 2 week check i earn and have had my tax returns siezed.

Can i give my parental rights up and have the arrears and current support lifted?
      Is there a way i can get my drivers licence hold released somehow even if i still have the arrears and current support garnishment?

Again i havent seen this child Since she was 4 months old and i do believe it is in her best intrest that i not be in her life due to her mothers Apperant Distaste for me and my family.But i also do not want to have to pay support for a child that i have no contact or any say in her life.
      Also i live in Las vegas nevada and have no real clue how to get this resolved one way or another.I really need a drivers licence and have to get this fixed one way or another.

No, you cannot give up your rights, although you can choose to not exercise your right to file for visitation.

Rights are very different from obligations. You cannot get out of a financial obligation to your child by giving up your rights.

Under no circumstances will a state allow a absent parent to be relieved of the obligation to repay the state for assistance recieved for your child.

If your DL has been suspended for non payment of CS, you can contact the state CSE agency and make arrangements to pay current and arrears and they will release your DL.

Comment

Voluntary Termination of Parental Rights (TPR) petition...Pretty much emancipating your child. My father emancipated me when I was 14-15. You might have to pay the back child support owed but I know you wouldn't pay anything further. I do encourage you to at least try to enforce these vistation rights you have. You might end up falling in love with her.

She might be too young but it is always looked at case by case

Please excuse all of my postings...I am new to this site and did not realize you can not post opinions. These are just comments on my past experiences please disregard. I apologize
        Last edited by sarita97; 05-28-2008, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Sarita, this is the second time I am asking to please stop posting incorrect information to a poster.
          HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
          How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
          (unique up on him)
          How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
          (same way)

Comment

Originally posted by sarita97 View Post
            Voluntary Termination of Parental Rights (TPR) petition...Pretty much emancipating your child. My father emancipated me when I was 14-15. You might have to pay the back child support owed but I know you wouldn't pay anything further.
            This is NOT true for the OP's situation. The ex has recieved public assistance, therefore there is no way that a TPR can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by sarita97 View Post
              Voluntary Termination of Parental Rights (TPR) petition...Pretty much emancipating your child. My father emancipated me when I was 14-15. You might have to pay the back child support owed but I know you wouldn't pay anything further. I do encourage you to at least try to enforce these vistation rights you have. You might end up falling in love with her.

She might be too young but it is always looked at case by case

Please excuse all of my postings...I am new to this site and did not realize you can not post opinions. These are just comments on my past experiences please disregard. I apologize

There is no judge, in any jurisdiction, that will allow a father to emancipate a 6 year old child so that he can get out of supporting that child.

That is not only wrong... it is stupid.

I don't doubt what happened to you... but unless it was this year, emancipation rules and laws have changed significantly.

There are not more than a thousand children nationwide that are legally emancipated in a year.

In my home state of Georgia, there were 12 children (just 12, not 1200 or 12000, 12) emancipated in 2005. The Georgia Legislature thought that number was too high, and so they closed a pregnancy loophole in the law and since then there have been NO recorded emancipations.

None.

Your case is the exception to the rule.

If you don't know what you are talking about, it doesn't help to speak. All you have done is give the OP false hope and/or unlawful advice.
              Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Comment

Gotta pay

You can volunteer to give up your rights but it won't absolve you from the child support responsibilities unless someone (another man) adopts your child and it is stipulated. It's the easiest thing in the world to throw money at something but have someone else rear, nurture, teach, comfort, motivate, feed, clothe, protect your child and help lead them to being a productive member of society. You only need PAY and that happens. Easy.

Originally posted by CRT View Post
                  Situation is this.

Comment

Originally posted by JSM123 View Post
                    You can volunteer to give up your rights but it won't absolve you from the child support responsibilities unless someone (another man) adopts your child and it is stipulated. It's the easiest thing in the world to throw money at something but have someone else rear, nurture, teach, comfort, motivate, feed, clothe, protect your child and help lead them to being a productive member of society. You only need PAY and that happens. Easy.

You've answered a 3 year old thread. Did you have a legal question of your own?

Comment

& if you do happen to have a question of your own, please start your own new thread. Thanks.
                      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
                      X