Father and child support issues Illinois

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father and child support issues Illinois

hello I have a 2 year daughter and the past 2 years i was struggling to find a decent job up to about 2 months ago where i got a really good paying job. Dept of health and human services(public aid) sent me my paperwork July 2006 telling me my child support amount that i have to pay and the arrearage from the time she was born til july 06. The amount that they wanted me to pay was judged on an unknown amount since i wasn't working from January 2006 til July 2006. The amount that they wanted me to pay was 132$ biweekly and it contiunes to be that amount today. I was unemployed from January 2006 til November 2006 and January 2007 til April 2007. I tryed contacting Dept. of Human Health services in my state letting them know i was unemployed during those times but i got no response from them and my child support is way behind because of this. The job i had from November 2006 til January 2007 was a minimum paying job. Now my question is, can i go to court and convince a judge to fix my current back support since i was unemployed for 15 months out of the 2 years and to get the back support off my credit report so i can buy a house or am i SOL? lol Now that i started this good paying job i have been paying nearly 100$ more each biweekly to get this paid down.
    Last edited by Ildad; 01-24-2008, 02:22 AM.

Originally posted by Ildad View Post
    hello I have a 2 year daughter and the past 2 years i was struggling to find a decent job up to about 2 months ago where i got a really good paying job. Dept of health and human services(public aid) sent me my paperwork July 2006 telling me my child support amount that i have to pay and the arrearage from the time she was born til july 06. The amount that they wanted me to pay was judged on an unknown amount since i wasn't working from January 2006 til July 2006. The amount that they wanted me to pay was 132$ biweekly and it contiunes to be that amount today. I was unemployed from January 2006 til November 2006 and January 2007 til April 2007. I tryed contacting Dept. of Human Health services in my state letting them know i was unemployed during those times but i got no response from them and my child support is way behind because of this. The job i had from November 2006 til January 2007 was a minimum paying job. Now my question is, can i go to court and convince a judge to fix my current back support since i was unemployed for 15 months out of the 2 years and to get the back support off my credit report so i can buy a house or am i SOL? lol Now that i started this good paying job i have been paying nearly 100$ more each biweekly to get this paid down.
    in your shoes- I don't think I would touch cs court for a while...as soon as your ex finds out about your new job she will ask for a recalc (and that WILL come up in cs court) $234 per month is not a very high amount at all...how many months behind are you right now?

if I were in your shoes, I would keep mum for now....pay off all the arrears, get current and then seek your parenting time schedule- at that time mom will ask for more support (that just seems to be the way it works )
    http://www.gestaltmediation.com/

Comment

Well a court is not gonna change there minds about the back pay but you should of did a court motion to get the child support lower because you were not working and when you were you have min. paying job. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by lotsof help View Post
        Well a court is not gonna change there minds about the back pay but you should of did a court motion to get the child support lower because you were not working and when you were you have min. paying job. Good luck
        Huh??????

He wouldn't get his CS lowered just because he was not working. His CS would be calculated on imputed income.

I don't want anyone to read this and think they can get out of CS just because they have a lower paying job.
        HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
        How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
        (unique up on him)
        How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
        (same way)

Comment

Huh??????

He wouldn't get his CS lowered just because he was not working. His CS would be calculated on imputed income.

I don't want anyone to read this and think they can get out of CS just because they have a lower paying job.

Comment

Originally posted by lotsof help View Post
            Huh??????

Ummm, no you cannot. There are very specific instances and time guidelines that allow for modification of an order. At no time can you get your order modified just because you don't feel like working and earning what you are capable of (proven by past tax statements).
            Last edited by mommyof4; 02-05-2008, 03:15 PM.
            HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
            (unique up on him)
            (same way)

Comment

Child support is a joke

I just joined this Chat group so excuse me for coming on it in the middle of everything....However This whole argument about child support is a joke anyway. Child support is merely another welfare system for poor people, mostly single uneducated mothers, who canít find a good paying job. Plz bear in mind that im a single father with custody of his daughter who turned down child support because the 50 dollars a month they were taking from my daughters mother to give me..i make 50,000+ a year, was ridiculous. Any person arguing over 50 dollars a month should not be having children to begin with. Having children is a privilege not a right. If you cant pay your own bills or support yourself then need not be having kids. As well most people do not go to court simply to ask for the " O so needed funds of the other parent to provide the best living environment for their poor disenfranchised child". No, most people seek child support to screw the other parent, it has nothing to do with the kids...lets be real here guys.....
              Chld support should be done away withÖnothing but another form of welfare.
              EJ

Comment

Now my question is, can i go to court and convince a judge to fix my current back support since i was unemployed for 15 months out of the 2 years and to get the back support off my credit report so i can buy a house or am i SOL?

DUDE....unemployed for 15 months...WTF!!!!! You did that intentially, didnt want to get a J.O.B. any gas station, would have hired you....15months...GEEZZZZ

Comment

PhSycHological Edge

Not all divorced parents make $50,000 a year, even though they work.... You basically compare your personal situation to single parents who do not work at all (thus you figure they are getting "welfare" by CS). My husbands ex did this........ she never stayed at a job & lived off gov. welfare and his CS........... So, I know what you're referring to.....

But, what about the people in between those like her, and you.......

I was 25 years old when my ex left me. We'd bought a home together (which I agreed to move out of and let him move back because I didn't want to stay in that isolated area alone as a single mom).... I made about $22,000 at the time....... we had debt from purchasing furniture, etc which had to be split, plus car payments. I worked FULL TIME and depended on NO ONE but God above & myself. I stayed in a town where I had no family & few friends (and thus enabled my ex to be closer to his son).... In order to live & afford RENT on a 2 bedroom apartment of my own to live with my son, a FINANCIAL ADVISOR suggested $400 a month child support payment from my (soon-to-be EX) husband at the time..... I never sued for alimony (which I probably could have since he was committing adultery & chose to leave...)

Are you telling me that in that situation I was living on welfare by accepting child support??????

Not everything is always black & white.... There are lots of single parents out there in similar situations to my own...

God Bless!
                  Amy

Comment

...and then, of course, is the basic legal responsibility for people, no matter their gender or socioeconomic status, to support their children.

So, you make $50,000/yr. Okay...that's not exactly wealthy. It may be comfortable for you, but it's not raking in the dough. Now, you get laid off or the company goes bankrupt. You have no income comming in. How are you going to provide for your child? Wait...will you go back to court to get Mom to chip in her fair share? (I would certainly hope so. She, too, has a responsibility to support her child).

I am ordered to recieve child support. (which I don't, but that's another story). I am nowhere close to being considered low income, uneducated, or single.

Oh, and this is not a chat group. It is a site to get general, legally correct answers to questions.
                    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                    (unique up on him)
                    (same way)

Comment

i just know that if you have a job and it is min paying job because that is all all you can find you can get your child support lowered it is not there fault that is the only job they can find and all they care is that you have a job! Another thing i make 18,000 and i am a single mom i do not get child support his dad is a crackhead so yes he should pay child support because that not my sons fault and he was nothing to do with him because he is on that stuff i am not on welfare they say i make too much money! I have went to college and i do have a assosites degree.

Comment

If you are attending or a graduate of post secondary education, then you should be able to employ proper grammar, sentence structure, and spelling skills.

IF the employment history of the parent ordered to pay support is only minimum wage or NO record of employment, then yes, you are correct. Mimnimum wage will be imputed to come up with the CS amount. However, if the parent ordered to pay support is capable of earning substantially more (as evidenced by tax filings and employment history) then THAT income may be imputed to determine CS.

It is not your child's fault that you chose a crackhead to be the father of the child. You are 100% correct on that topic.
                        HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                        (unique up on him)
                        (same way)

Comment

that all the i was trying to say but you were reading more into then you needed and i am sorry i do not do thinks that you do not like but sorry i do not judge people like that

Comment

Your 'sentence' makes absolutely no sense. None.

I read exactly what you wrote.

I JUST WANT TO SAY YOU CAN GO IN COURT AT ANY TIME AND DO A MOTIFICATION IT IS NO DIFFERENT IF YOU GET A BETTER JOB OR GET A JOB THAT PAYS LESS I HAVE BEEN GOING TO COURT FOR 4 YRS NOW!

You are incorrect.
                            HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                            (unique up on him)
                            (same way)

Comment

whatever but are u from illinois because the laws her are different
                              \

Comment

Working...
                              X