New York Emancipation Age

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York Emancipation Age

I wanted to know if anyone knew if the New York State emancipation age of 21 was ever 18 and if so which year was it changed.

Also if I was paying child support to a child that was incarcerated would I be able to get that money back that I paid while he was in jail?

Originally posted by Erick69 View Post
    I wanted to know if anyone knew if the New York State emancipation age of 21 was ever 18 and if so which year was it changed.

Also if I was paying child support to a child that was incarcerated would I be able to get that money back that I paid while he was in jail?
    No, you cannot get that money back. You would have needed to file for modification at that time. Child support is paid to age 21 in NY.
    Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

Was the emancipation age of 21 ever 18 in New York?

Comment

Originally posted by Erick69 View Post
        Was the emancipation age of 21 ever 18 in New York?
        Probably not. There was more likely a lack of laws even related to this until there needed to be and then the age of 21 was brought up to cover college and other expenses. This particular set has been around for a while, at least the 1970's I believe. There were some large changes in 1989 I believe relating to the percentage people would pay for support. You are more likely to get this sort of information from past news articles.

Comment

Working...
        X