Is this my only option for now? Texas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this my only option for now? Texas

Ok so my case has hit the wall. The firm I hired informed me that the 2nd attorney that they assigned me quit and the owner wants $6000 that I cant come up with. Since then Ive been calling different attorneys and all of them want anywhere from $3500-$5000 to go after custody. I called the Putative fathers registy and they said the only way I can my name is with the mothers permission and the DNA results OR a judge orders it. I have contacted these people and either am told that because LA is a Napolianic law state that alot of advocates cant help in that state, they also say call an attorney. I called the legal aid again in LA and told them what I am up against and tell them I need help, they say that I have to get the legal aid in my state has to refer me. I called the legal aid here and they say I have to go thru LoneStar legal aid that covers east TX, they say no its gotta be the legal aid in my county, so I am going to just go there on Wed and see them and beg.

In the mean time the only thing that I have found that would at least give me visitation is this Access and Visitation program in LA. They say I need to re-open my child support case that the mama closed when she denied I was the father to the State Attorney in April. I would send the DNA results to them, then I pay to open this Visitation program case and they would represent my daughter. They file a motion for visitation with the courts and if the mama doesnt agree then they go to court and the judge decides. They do NOT represent me, they would be a litigator for my daughter. I would have no custody rights but I would be in her life and she could begin bonding with me.

Has anyone ever heard of this type of program?
    Does it sound like a good idea?

I just dont want to dig deeper into a hole.

I spoke to an attorney today and he said if I wanted to do that then do it, but it would still cost me the $3500-4000 to get custody, my name on the BC and her last name changed or hypenated.

Hey Im still trying... No giving up..
    How bout them Cowboys?

Originally posted by dev87 View Post
    Ok so my case has hit the wall. The firm I hired informed me that the 2nd attorney that they assigned me quit and the owner wants $6000 that I cant come up with. Since then Ive been calling different attorneys and all of them want anywhere from $3500-$5000 to go after custody. I called the Putative fathers registy and they said the only way I can my name is with the mothers permission and the DNA results OR a judge orders it. I have contacted these people and either am told that because LA is a Napolianic law state that alot of advocates cant help in that state, they also say call an attorney. I called the legal aid again in LA and told them what I am up against and tell them I need help, they say that I have to get the legal aid in my state has to refer me. I called the legal aid here and they say I have to go thru LoneStar legal aid that covers east TX, they say no its gotta be the legal aid in my county, so I am going to just go there on Wed and see them and beg.

In the mean time the only thing that I have found that would at least give me visitation is this Access and Visitation program in LA. They say I need to re-open my child support case that the mama closed when she denied I was the father to the State Attorney in April. I would send the DNA results to them, then I pay to open this Visitation program case and they would represent my daughter. They file a motion for visitation with the courts and if the mama doesnt agree then they go to court and the judge decides. They do NOT represent me, they would be a litigator for my daughter. I would have no custody rights but I would be in her life and she could begin bonding with me.

Has anyone ever heard of this type of program?
    Does it sound like a good idea?

I just dont want to dig deeper into a hole.

I spoke to an attorney today and he said if I wanted to do that then do it, but it would still cost me the $3500-4000 to get custody, my name on the BC and her last name changed or hypenated.

Hey Im still trying... No giving up..
    Sounds like they would assign her a GAL. A GAL is a good thing, that would be a lawyer for your daughter, and they are suposed to go by what is best for her.

Comment

Good luck Dev, I wish there were more fathers out there like you.

Comment

have you tried filing for paternity and visitation without the atty? A clerk should be able to direct you to the paperwork you would need to file. You can ask for a GAL at the time of filing. At least it is something.

Comment

Working...
        X