Can child support be lowered when a job is lost involuntarily? Texas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can child support be lowered when a job is lost involuntarily? Texas

My husband lost his job of 14 years 3 weeks ago after his company was sold. The new owners laid off approximately 75% of the recently gained employees. Consequently, loss of insurance, income, etc. He's been looking daily for a new job without much luck. His ex wife, who chooses not to work, and her new husband, who also chooses not to work, started harrassing us about child support payments. We weren't able to send the full amount, so I paid most of it and included a note that I would send more next time I got paid. She was livid that we didn't send the full amount and wants to go to court. We were planning on having a child of our own, but those plans are on a temporary hold until this is worked out somehow. We live in Texas & she's in Louisiana. Is there anything we can do to get his Child Support lowered while he's looking for a Job? These kids will be 18 soon but I don't want to have to worry about paying extra for "back paymants" after they are grown. I wan't to go to court to get this taken care of once and for all, but can they use my income to calculate the amount that he should owe?

Originally posted by slhale76 View Post
    My husband lost his job of 14 years 3 weeks ago after his company was sold. The new owners laid off approximately 75% of the recently gained employees. Consequently, loss of insurance, income, etc. He's been looking daily for a new job without much luck. His ex wife, who chooses not to work, and her new husband, who also chooses not to work, started harrassing us about child support payments. We weren't able to send the full amount, so I paid most of it and included a note that I would send more next time I got paid. She was livid that we didn't send the full amount and wants to go to court. We were planning on having a child of our own, but those plans are on a temporary hold until this is worked out somehow. We live in Texas & she's in Louisiana. Is there anything we can do to get his Child Support lowered while he's looking for a Job? These kids will be 18 soon but I don't want to have to worry about paying extra for "back paymants" after they are grown. I wan't to go to court to get this taken care of once and for all, but can they use my income to calculate the amount that he should owe?
    File for a downward modification. He must be able to show that he lost his job through no fault of his own (if 75% were laid off, that shouldn't be a problem) and that he is actively looking for work. Since he is not purposely unemployed or underemployed, your income should not be an issue, one way or the other. Your husband needs to do this today. Until the order is modified, he owes the full amount ordered.

By the way, I am assuming that there is a child support order. After rereading your post, it's not very clear.
    Last edited by mommyof4; 01-26-2007, 05:13 AM.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

Comment

Working...
    X