Employer not taking out child support Kansas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employer not taking out child support Kansas

My brother-in-law has been working at a company since October 2006. He states that the employer still hasn't taken out child support for his daughter from his first marriage, even though the court has sent a garnishment. He will not get a tax refund because all of it is going to child support. I have a funny feeling that there is nothing that he can do...

In my company, we have to sign for wage garnishments and implement them on the next pay period.

That can be corrected, but the money is coming out of him, not the company, and it really does not matter if it is out of a paycheck or the income tax refund.

I have had employees call me and have money set aside for the garnishment they expect.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by breathe View Post
      My brother-in-law has been working at a company since October 2006. He states that the employer still hasn't taken out child support for his daughter from his first marriage, even though the court has sent a garnishment. He will not get a tax refund because all of it is going to child support. I have a funny feeling that there is nothing that he can do...
      He should speak to the payroll dept of his employer to find out why they haven't begun the garnishments. It's possible that they haven't recieved the garnishment order.

If they have recieved it and for some reason are refusing to garnish he should explain that it's the law that they garnish and they could be fined for not doing so. If that doesn't work he'll need to contact CSE and have them contact the employer.

Until the garnishments begin, he needs to make the payments himself otherwise the arrears will grow and interest can be added to them.

Comment

Working...
      X