Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you read this? --- North Dakota

On our order in regards to visitation this is what it says:

Tina shall be entitiled to visitation on alternating holidays, which shall include, at a minimum, the following:

1. Shall be intitled to five days with the kids over the christmas holiday. Odd years not to include the 24th and 25th. Even numbered years to include the 24th and 25th.

2. Easter, from thursday to sunday.

3. Memorial day from friday to monday.

4. laborday from friday to monday.

5. Thanksgiving from the preceeding wednesday to sunday.

---Now I read that as I get the kids on the above holidays each year. He reads it as we alternate the above holidays each year. My thinking was because there are other fedreal recognized holidays that the kids get out of school for. So why would 4th of july be left out. I assumed that I got them for the above, and he gets them for other holidays, 4th of july, valentines, presidents day, MLK jr day, and anyother extended weekend.

What does anyone else think? We already got a letter from the District court judge back about the request for review. I got the two extra weeks in the summer and the time changed back to what it was for pick up. Should I write to the court asking for clarifacation?

Originally posted by tina5160 View Post
    On our order in regards to visitation this is what it says:

Tina shall be entitiled to visitation on alternating holidays, which shall include, at a minimum, the following:

1. Shall be intitled to five days with the kids over the christmas holiday. Odd years not to include the 24th and 25th. Even numbered years to include the 24th and 25th.

2. Easter, from thursday to sunday.

3. Memorial day from friday to monday.

4. laborday from friday to monday.

5. Thanksgiving from the preceeding wednesday to sunday.

---Now I read that as I get the kids on the above holidays each year. He reads it as we alternate the above holidays each year. My thinking was because there are other fedreal recognized holidays that the kids get out of school for. So why would 4th of july be left out. I assumed that I got them for the above, and he gets them for other holidays, 4th of july, valentines, presidents day, MLK jr day, and anyother extended weekend.
    Having gone through this it looks clear to me.

Tina shall be entitiled to visitation on alternating holidays,

That means every other holiday, every other year. Usually the decree defines things. Mine did.

at a minimum,

That means the listed holidays are definate, and the others are optional. I would do up a list and for the sake of the children, set down with the ex and iron them out without a lawyer.

I take it you are not the custodial parent.

From experience, spend your time with the kids talking about them, (or yourself) and never slam your ex. The children will love you more for it.

Comment

That says that you get ALTERNATING holidays, meaning every other year. If it meant you got each of those listed, that would mean you would get five days every Christmas, plus every Thanksgiving, Memorial Day, Labor Day and Easter. Those are all of the major holidays generally celebrated by families, so it would not make sense that you would get all of them while he gets none.

Those are the minimum holidays included. I would assume that since the 4th of July is a summer holiday, it is not a primary concern, but a secondary one (meaning you could probably decide among yourselves where the children could be that year.)

Honestly, do you think that it would be fair that you always get Easter and Thanksgiving and 5 days over Christmas while he gets Valentine's day (which will never be a school or work holiday) or MLK day (which may be a school holiday, but not a work holiday, depending on his employer)?

Comment

alternating. a lot of lesser holidays are not stipulated in divorce decrees and left to the parents to work out. i read it as 1 year you get thanksgiving(and other holidays listed) for the specified times and the next year he does(etc). It's not fair that you get all major holidays every year and he doesn't- how would you feel if it was reversed? I have been on your end, so i understand your feelings as a ncp too, but it has to be fair.

Comment

I read this that you get 5 days that do NOT include Dec. 24 and 25 in the odd years and 5 days that DO include Dec. 24/25 in even years. All other holidays are alternated.

Normally, the 4th is spent with whomever the kids are with at that time. So, if you have them for visitation and that day falls during that time, the kids celebrate the 4th with you. (and easy way to do this is to just rotate the 4th as well and every other year, designate that week as part of your visitation.)
          Last edited by mommyof4; 01-25-2007, 10:31 AM.
          HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
          How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
          (unique up on him)
          How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
          (same way)

Comment

it sucks

I think it sucks really. There are so many other times of the school year that they have extended weekends that he gets them. Even if I would have had them all of those times I still wouldn't have had them 100 days of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by tina5160 View Post
              I think it sucks really. There are so many other times of the school year that they have extended weekends that he gets them. Even if I would have had them all of those times I still wouldn't have had them 100 days of the year.
              It could be worse.

My ex has not seen two of our girls for 3 1/2 years. She made the choice of moving against the custody order, and left the girls with me. Lucky for her I have her number on my cell plan as a free call.

The other moved in with her, (at 19) as she did not like my rules. Mom was ready to kill her after one month.

At this time life revolves around your growing children. Enjoy every moment you have them, and love them.

Comment

Working...
              X