Chils Support and Medicaid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chils Support and Medicaid

I was under the impression that if the mother and child are both recivieng medicaid. That the father was suposed to be paying Child Support. ? ? ?

Originally posted by mickeymouse5472 View Post
    I was under the impression that if the mother and child are both recivieng medicaid. That the father was suposed to be paying Child Support. ? ? ?
    The father (or any parent without custody) should be paying child support, period. I don't think I understand what you are asking. Medicaid and child support are not related.

Comment

If the mother and child are on assistance, the state will try to secure child support from the father. This doesn't mean you will receive the money. The state may withhold the some or all of the money as reimbursement for the aid you are receiving.
      Last edited by Ohio "Step" Mom; 01-12-2007, 08:48 PM.
      Don't listen to a word I say because ya know I've gotta be crazy to be a Brown's fan.

Comment

Child Support and Medicaid

I was on medicaid when I was 8 mo pregnant to when the baby was born. After my son was born they told me I was no longer able to get medicaid for my self. My son could be on medicaid till he was one. I asked if I just needed to reapply for myself and they said yes. When I reapplied for myself (just me not the baby) they told me that I wouldnt be able to get it for me until I filed for Child Support. I cant find the father of my child to get him to take a paternity test. In the state I live in the father has to sign the BC. So therefore I wasnt able to put him on the BC. Parternity has to be established to get CS.
        It made no sense to me that my sister and my niece were both on medicaid and her daughters dad doesnt pay CS. My sister was never told she had to. Nither was it ever mentioned. She lives in another state, but isnt medicaid federal not state? Anyway it makes no sense to me that I would need CS for me to be on medicaid. I would understand the baby, but not myself. I work part time and dont get benifits. If something happens to me I would be screwed. What about when my sons medicaid runs out. Am I suposed to just stop taking him to the Drs? Because I cant afford it on my own?
        Last edited by mickeymouse5472; 01-12-2007, 09:02 PM.

Comment

???

When I talked to my sister she told me that she was never told that she needed to get CS, nor has anyone tried to get money from the father. Parternity has been establish, and my sister wants to get CS. She just filed for it since she was laid off one of her jobs.
          Last edited by mickeymouse5472; 01-12-2007, 09:01 PM.

Comment

I was on medicaid when I was 8 mo pregnant to when the baby was born. After my son was born they told me I was no longer able to get medicaid for my self. My son could be on medicaid till he was one. I asked if I just needed to reapply for myself and they said yes. When I reapplied for myself (just me not the baby) they told me that I wouldnt be able to get it for me until I filed for Child Support. I cant find the father of my child to get him to take a paternity test. In the state I live in the father has to sign the BC. So therefore I wasnt able to put him on the BC. Parternity has to be established to get CS.
            It made no sense to me that my sister and my niece were both on medicaid and her daughters dad doesnt pay CS. My sister was never told she had to. Nither was it ever mentioned. She lives in another state, but isnt medicaid federal not state? Anyway it makes no sense to me that I would need CS for me to be on medicaid. I would understand the baby, but not myself. I work part time and dont get benifits. If something happens to me I would be screwed. What about when my sons medicaid runs out. Am I suposed to just stop taking him to the Drs? Because I cant afford it on my own?
            They told you that you need to file for it, I don't believe that you actually have to be receiving it to get benefits. They will hunt down the father and extract the funds from him themselves...

Comment

I'm sorry I didn't understand your original question.

When you applied for Medicaid while you were pregnant, you probably only applied for pregnancy-related benefits. That's why you are not receiving it anymore.

You should file for a determination of parentage to force him to take a paternity test. Then, assuming he is the father, file for child support (he will need to file for visitation). But this could take a lot of time. You should try to purchase your own benefits. It is costly (I know, trust me, I had to buy my own for me and my son for three years), but it is really your only option unless you can secure a job with benefits. And you may not qualify in the end. Medicaid is not automatically given to someone just because they are a single mom without a lot of money for benefits.

Comment

Yes, it was for pregnancy. she told me that I could reapply after the baby was born and would be put back on. Then when I reapplied, they said that I would have to apply for CS. I am not worried about it that much. I can't afford anything right now. I will have to just go with out like my mother did with us, all my life. .
                I just dont understand why my sister never was asked about it and I was? That is odd, to me especially when her daughter's father has been proven to be her father.
                The reason I dont get child support is the father is homeless, and last I knew of him he was living in his car. How can you collect from someone who doesnt work. yeah he would go to jail, but thats just a roof over his head and a free meal to him. That doesnt help me or the baby at all.
                Last edited by mickeymouse5472; 01-13-2007, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Yes, it was for pregnancy. she told me that I could reapply after the baby was born and would be put back on. Then when I reapplied, they said that I would have to apply for CS. I am not worried about it that much. I can't afford anything right now. I will have to just go with out like my mother did with us, all my life. .
                  I just dont understand why my sister never was asked about it and I was? That is odd, to me especially when her daughter's father has been proven to be her father.
                  The reason I dont get child support is the father is homeless, and last I knew of him he was living in his car. How can you collect from someone who doesnt work. yeah he would go to jail, but thats just a roof over his head and a free meal to him. That doesnt help me or the baby at all.
                  Have you filed for child support? If not, do so now. It does not matter if you are unable to find him and he is unable to pay. The paperwork needs to be done anyway.

Comment

WHy wast my time and money? I have no clue where he would even be. If I am never going to recieve anything what would the point be?

Comment

WHy wast my time and money? I have no clue where he would even be. If I am never going to recieve anything what would the point be?
                      Umm, how would filling out the paperwork to file for child support waste your money? You don't need to worry about finding him. Give any and all information you have for him and let them track him down. That's what they do. All it takes is one misstep, illness or accient and you will be wondering WHY you wasted so much time griping about this on a forum when you could have taken the small amount of time it takes to fill out a few papers.

As you are so resistant to filing for child support, I have to conclude that you either don't know who the father is or don't want him to know that he has a baby.
                      HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                      How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
                      (unique up on him)
                      How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
                      (same way)

Comment

Because, they don't need to find him or collect from him for your child to receive benefits from the state, they just need to have his information on file for THEM to go after him. It does not cost you any money to do that and he is required to be responsible, which if he ever does get money, he will be.

Comment

jinx...you owe me a coke.
                          HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                          How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
                          (unique up on him)
                          How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
                          (same way)

Comment

Originally posted by mommyof4 View Post
                            jinx...you owe me a coke.
                            lol...

Apparently, lol is too short of a message.

Comment

And I am going to refer to post #4, which you posted YOURSELF, saying:

"I work part time and dont get benifits. If something happens to me I would be screwed. What about when my sons medicaid runs out. Am I suposed to just stop taking him to the Drs? Because I cant afford it on my own?"

Your started this thread in an effort to learn how to keep your medicaid. Well, this is how you keep your medicaid. File for support. If you don't want to waste your time filing, then forget about medicaid coverage. You can complain all you want that it's unfair that your sister got to keep her coverage, but different rules apply to you. That's going to do absolutley diddly to change the fact that if you want to be eligible for medicaid, then you MUST file for CS, period.

Wasn't that the point of your post? You have once again confused me.

Comment

Working...
                              X