Custody agreements Maryland/NY

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custody agreements Maryland/NY

I have had sole custody of my daughter for the last 7 years and moved to Maryland from NY about two yrs ago. My 14 yr old daughter has become a nightmare and wants to move back to NY with her biological mother who has decided to care all of a sudden.

My first question is jurisdiction, I believe it's baised on where the child is currently living(MD)? I recievde a letter from the mom's attorney and he has written up and agreement saying we agree on sole custody to be tranferred back to the mother, this needs to be changed to joint legal custody, but my other question is should this order also speak to child support?

The mother claims she doesn't want anything, considering she hasn't paid me a dime in 7 yrs, but I'm still going to pay a set amount and continue to provide health insurance should this language be added to the custody agreement?

i just don't want the mom to file yrs down the line for child support and i'm in in arrears big time. any help would be greatly appreciated.

the original court has jurisdiction as long as they have an interest (a parent still resides there) or they agree to relinquish jurisdiction. a motion to modify must go thru the same court. make sure everything that you want is in there because you can only modify again due to a change of circumstances. definitely go for joint legal with her being primary residential custodian. make sure visitation is spelled out- including who should pay for travel. Your best bet- hire an atty there

Comment

Originally posted by lost33 View Post
      but my other question is should this order also speak to child support?

The mother claims she doesn't want anything, considering she hasn't paid me a dime in 7 yrs, but I'm still going to pay a set amount and continue to provide health insurance should this language be added to the custody agreement?

i just don't want the mom to file yrs down the line for child support and i'm in in arrears big time. any help would be greatly appreciated.
      There is no language to address CS in your custody agreement because child support and custody/visitation are two different issues. You will want to file a child support agreement yourself, stating specifically what you will pay (monthly and medical). If you don't do this, then yes, she can come back later and sue you for support if she so chooses. It is probably in your best interest to follow the state guidelines for support as well, even if Mom says she doesn't want it. If she really doesn't want the money, she can tuck it away in a savings account or your daughter's college fund.

Comment

Working...
      X