Therapist says she needs ex's permission!!! California

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Therapist says she needs ex's permission!!! California

My 15 year old has asked to see a therapist. Mostly the usual teenage issues, but also one particular issue that she is reluctant to tell her father about.

I contacted the health insurance company, got a referral, met with the woman, like her a great deal, but - she states that since the ex and I have joint legal custody with me having primary physical custody, that she needs his authorization as well as mine in order to treat my daughter.

Why on EARTH do I need his permission? I don't need his permission to take her to a regular doctor. Heck, in the state we live in she could go get an abortion if she wanted to without even telling either of us, but I have to get permission for her to see a therapist???

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is there a law that says I must, or is this therapist just being a bit overly cautious?

Thanks!

That is odd. Get a new doctor. I could see if you didnt have custody but if you are the custodal parent then you make all decisions to her care.

I had a similar situation with the school that my kids go too. I got alot of resistance getting them enrolled. Its because I have a penis

Originally posted by Rodulu View Post
    My 15 year old has asked to see a therapist. Mostly the usual teenage issues, but also one particular issue that she is reluctant to tell her father about.

I contacted the health insurance company, got a referral, met with the woman, like her a great deal, but - she states that since the ex and I have joint legal custody with me having primary physical custody, that she needs his authorization as well as mine in order to treat my daughter.

Why on EARTH do I need his permission? I don't need his permission to take her to a regular doctor. Heck, in the state we live in she could go get an abortion if she wanted to without even telling either of us, but I have to get permission for her to see a therapist???

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is there a law that says I must, or is this therapist just being a bit overly cautious?

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks!
      I think the therapist might be over cautious. But, does your court order state anything about each parent being required to notify other parent about health issues? If it doesn't you won't need to get ex's permission.
      If you like this therapist, try taking a copy of the court order to show her that you aren't legally required to get permission and also be sure to explain that part of daughter's issues are things that she doesn't want dad to know about just yet. If the therapist still says you need permission then get another therapist.

Comment

Thanks!
        I'm going to go out on a limb here, and guess that is exactly what the court order says. (That is the point of joint legal custody). However, just because she needs the consent of the other parent, that does NOT mean that the therapist needs to discuss or disclose anything the teen talks about, unless the teen specifically gives the therapist permission to reveal that information...to EITHER PARENT (the exception, of course, is if the therapist deems the child is in immediate need of intense intervention or is in immediate danger.)

Rodulu, why is it a problem to get Dad to sign the consent for treatment form. He doesn't have to know exactly what is an issue.
        HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
        How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
        (unique up on him)
        How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
        (same way)

Comment

My ex started taking my kids to a councelor. Even though we have joint custody, and I had asked the court to order counceling, his lawyer told him he didn't need to tell me about it. He finally told me early December when I told him I had again asked the court to order it. I asked him for the councelors infomation, as there were some problems that I wanted to help her with (like getting the kids to talk to her). He refused to talk to me about it. So I told him to go back to his lawyer and ask him what would happen if I filed for a motion of contempt. He called me today with the information.

Comment

Just another thought, it may be that the daughter does not want to share info with the dad, because the problem is her dad, and she does not want him to know, but wants to get help to deal with it. You nor dad, are privy to any information, it is doctor patient confidentiality. I would suggest requesting an appointment with this counselor, and your daughter being present, and if she wants you to know something, then she will tell you then. The daughter would have to agree to this, by the way.

Comment

Working...
            X