Moving to Japan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Japan

I am active duty military with orders to Japan. I have sole physical custody of my son and my ex has joint legal custody. The military has mandated that I move to Japan on official orders. My son requires a passport in order to proceed to Japan. The ex is refusing to give her consent for him to move with us to Japan. She has known about this for six months and has basically dragged out this issue in hopes that he would not be allowed to go. I have checked the passport website and noted this statement:

Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child's travel is restricted by that order); or

Is the fact that I have sole physical custody enough for me obtain my son's passport based on the information provided on the government's website. There is nothing in the order restricting his travel. Time is extremely short since we have to be in place by 31 Jan 07.

Originally posted by etnod View Post
    I am active duty military with orders to Japan. I have sole physical custody of my son and my ex has joint legal custody. The military has mandated that I move to Japan on official orders. My son requires a passport in order to proceed to Japan. The ex is refusing to give her consent for him to move with us to Japan. She has known about this for six months and has basically dragged out this issue in hopes that he would not be allowed to go. I have checked the passport website and noted this statement:

Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child's travel is restricted by that order); or

Is the fact that I have sole physical custody enough for me obtain my son's passport based on the information provided on the government's website. There is nothing in the order restricting his travel. Time is extremely short since we have to be in place by 31 Jan 07.
    Contact the passport office first thing on Monday to ask, but I'm pretty sure that you will still need to get either ex's permission or a court order before they'll issue your child a passport. If they won't you'll need to file a motion on Monday, hopefully it can be heard before you have to leave. Unfortunately you may have waited a little long to be able to get a court order before you leave, so it's extremely important to file on Monday.

Comment

Working...
    X