sisterwants to marry someone who hasnt paid back support Oregon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sisterwants to marry someone who hasnt paid back support Oregon

hello, my sister has a fiance that owes back child support... she is second guessing now because she doesnt want her wages garnished, or when she files her taxes that they will not deduct the child support. Can anyone touch on this at all??

they can't garnish her wages - it is not her support. she could be partially liable if it is a community property state as both are liable for each other's debt. If the tax refund is intercepted, in most states, the spouse can file an injured spouse claim and get their portion of the refund back, but the person paying child support will have their portion intercepted. This can all be different if it's a community state

Comment

To avoid having her taxes garnished and have to fight to have her "injured spouse claim" approved, she may just want to file seperately from him. My exH owed 17K when we married and this option was the least amount of hassle.
      Don't listen to a word I say because ya know I've gotta be crazy to be a Brown's fan.

Comment

garnishment

Ok - the step parents wages will not be touched as some have already said. I have been involved in paying support for 12 years and not one not ever has my current spouse had her wages garneshed or anythign at all.

Income tax refund can however be diverted. Yes you can go the injured spouse form to reclaim some monies but really the best thing I have found is to simply sile seperatly.

Comment

Originally posted by whitemike View Post
          hello, my sister has a fiance that owes back child support... she is second guessing now because she doesnt want her wages garnished, or when she files her taxes that they will not deduct the child support. Can anyone touch on this at all??
          Is there a legitimate reason as to why he is in arrears? Personally, I would think twice about marrying this man, because if he isn't properly supporting the children he has now, what would happen if your sister had children with this man and then they split up?

Comment

Originally posted by KAW1962 View Post
            Is there a legitimate reason as to why he is in arrears? Personally, I would think twice about marrying this man, because if he isn't properly supporting the children he has now, what would happen if your sister had children with this man and then they split up?
            EXCELLENT question!!! Had I known about it or known how much hassle I would have to endure from my exH that was in arrears when I married him, and knowing now that he is 14K + behind to me, I would have not married him. Glad for my son, just wish he had been a one-night-stand baby 'cause it would have been so much easier!! (too bad I'm not into that sort of thing)
            Don't listen to a word I say because ya know I've gotta be crazy to be a Brown's fan.

Comment

Originally posted by whitemike View Post
              Your sister will need to make sure to keep ALL of her income and assets completely seperate after marriage. She should have her own bank account, without his name on it, not even as a POA. ANYTHING that is in her and HIS name can be seized for the arrears. If they buy a home together she'll need to understand that as long as the arrears exist she MIGHT lose any money she puts into the home.

As others have posted, her income cannot be taken (unless it's in an account with his). She should always file an injured spouse form with taxes, they can seize his portion of a refund but not hers.

She also needs to understand that the arrears will make it very difficult for her and him to have a "normal" life until the arrears are paid. Also, as someone else mentioned, she should think long and hard about having any children with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio "Step" Mom View Post
                ...just wish he had been a one-night-stand baby 'cause it would have been so much easier!! (too bad I'm not into that sort of thing)
                Hey!

I found out the hard way that that way ain't any easier!

Comment

Originally posted by MomofBoys View Post
                  Hey!

I found out the hard way that that way ain't any easier!
                  lol, as my momma told me "you can do bad all by yourself". Actually, in my case, since I pay all the bills anyway, buy the groceries, make all the child care arrangements, PAID his child support while we were married, PAID his bail money when we were married, PAID for his vehicles and insurance, had NO help around the home (including repairs, yard and house work, and working on the cars)....I do find it MUCH easier and I am better off financially to have severed the tie. He was literally a leach sucking the money out of my accounts and the sanity out of my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio "Step" Mom View Post
                    lol, as my momma told me "you can do bad all by yourself". Actually, in my case, since I pay all the bills anyway, buy the groceries, make all the child care arrangements, PAID his child support while we were married, PAID his bail money when we were married, PAID for his vehicles and insurance, had NO help around the home (including repairs, yard and house work, and working on the cars)....I do find it MUCH easier and I am better off financially to have severed the tie. He was literally a leach sucking the money out of my accounts and the sanity out of my head.
                    So, that explains it.

HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
                    (unique up on him)
                    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
                    (same way)

Comment

Yup!! Still sucking the sanity but my money is my own.
                      Last edited by Ohio "Step" Mom; 01-05-2007, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X