Child Support Law Alabama Alabama

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Support Law Alabama Alabama

My 12 y/o son lives in AL with his mother, who is remarried. I have always paid support of $300 mo. and even gave an extra few thousand above and beyond recently on a 3 week notice she needed it. She has had the opp to increase her income over the years to a six figure income. I am still making my $50,000. I have always paid on time and send any extra when needed. My concern is she is planning on taking me back to court for more money now that I am remarried. My current wife makes about six figs. My concerm: will the court now add my wifes income, or will they only go by my income? Also, our divorce papers did not stipulate when the support would end. I would like to help my son with college, but not through her. I would like to end it going to her when he is 18 or out of school. Then set up an account to send money to my son. What should I do? I do not live in Alabama.
    Last edited by NeedtoKNow2020; 01-02-2007, 12:09 PM.

300 for a 50,000 income???? WOW, you've been really lucky. My hubby's ex is ordered to pay 187/mo on NO income. AL uses the income shares model. Both you and your ex will have to submit income verification and an amount will be set from there. Your new spouse's income is not included and if she is remarried, his is not either. You can look up AL's calculations and pretty much figure out how much you will be ordered to pay. Any extras you give are just that- extras and considered a gift.
    His AL papers read support stops at 19, out of high school, married, or otherwise emancipated, whichever occurs first. The section on college is blank and noted to be decided at a later time. I assume that was a standard clause from AL

Comment

Thanks! I appreciate your response.

Comment

I ran rough figures on All law's cs calculator, with his known salary and using the figure of $100,000 for hers and the rough estimate he would pay, again according to their calculator, is $330 / month.

Comment

Originally posted by jim_bo
          Wow that is amazing. I guess that an extra $30/month won't kill him. However, I would certainly protect myself WRT the "gifts".

I agree, because after so many "gifts," they turn into expectations.

Comment

Thanks! I also just used the calc and came up with the $330 number. I actually don't pay through Alabama. I have always paid through a direct debit from my check every month into my ex's designated checking account. My pay stubs are my receipt.

Comment

Please tell us your child support order states that you are to pay her directly.
              HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
              How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
              (unique up on him)
              How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
              (same way)

Comment

The original paperwork was filed in another state when we actually divorced. Because of legal trouble the lawyer got into in that previous state, she refiled in Alabama because our case was null and void in the eyes of the court. Ofcourse, I was already paying her support because of the original order, she just had to refile, and did so in Alabama since she was residing there. I did resign my paperwork, but never changed anyway I was paying her. She has never asked me to, and neither has any court. This was years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by NeedtoKNow2020 View Post
                  The original paperwork was filed in another state when we actually divorced. Because of legal trouble the lawyer got into in that previous state, she refiled in Alabama because our case was null and void in the eyes of the court. Ofcourse, I was already paying her support because of the original order, she just had to refile, and did so in Alabama since she was residing there. I did resign my paperwork, but never changed anyway I was paying her. She has never asked me to, and neither has any court. This was years ago.
                  Okay, as long as it is in the order that you are to pay her that way you should be fine. If it was NOT in the order and you were supposed to pay her through CSE, then any money you had given her would not count as child support. But, as I said, in your situation, you should be okay. Whew....
                  HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                  How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
                  (unique up on him)
                  How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
                  (same way)

Comment

Working...
                  X