Help In PA frustrated single mother Pennsylvania

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help In PA frustrated single mother Pennsylvania

I am a single mother on active duty in the USMC. I have a 17 month old son with multiple medical issues due to being born 3 months premature.

I got pregnant while stationed in NC; and moved up to PA before he was born. The father is still in NC. He has come up 2 times for 2 days each to see our son. He is on the birth certificate as the father. After months of fighting and chances we have both decided that he should sign over his rights. He has no real interest in our son. He has admitted it was a mistake and wants nothing to do with either of us.

What do I have to do to get paperwork to sign his rights over? I have googled beyond belief. I'm low-income and I work beyond normal business hours making it hard to get in touch with the county to figure out what to do.

Any help would be appreciated. I am beyond frustrated with this situation and I just want what is best for my son. And from the way he acts and the things he says I know he does not have my son's interest in mind.

Unfortunately most courts will not allow someone to just "give up their rights". You may try to have him sign the paperwork to relinquish his parental rights but I doubt a court will accept it. Your best bet is to let sleeping dogs lie. Hopefully you will find "the one" and that person will want to petition to adopt your son. That is really the only way a court will let him off the hook.

I'm sorry this is probably not what you wanted to hear but there is no sense in letting you google your fingers off for something you're not going to find.
    Don't listen to a word I say because ya know I've gotta be crazy to be a Brown's fan.

Comment

And exactly how will a chaplain help her with legal issues. I guess he can pray that she find an atty that is willing to help her out. If you are a retired Naval Officer (oh, how your past life experience is growing) then you should know that she will have to honor her committment to the USMC, regardless of whether or not she has a child, unless she is at a point in time that she can choose whether to reup, discharge, or transfer.

What are you doing criticizing a person, regardless of whether she is a mother or a father...after all, aren't both parents' responsibilities to the child equal???...for serving her country? Staying in the military at least assures that she has medical coverage for the child.
      HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
      How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
      (unique up on him)
      How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
      (same way)

Comment

Originally posted by jim_bo
        1. She can request an administrative discharge based on significant family hardship. It happens all the time.

2. Her commitment to her country does NOT supercede her commitment to her child. The military will not force her to stay in at the expense of her child.

3. Staying in the military solely for the purposes of medical benefits is niether ethical nor is it practical. After all, she is a Marine and we are at war. How will she provide for her child if she is asked to go to Iraq for a year to 18 months?

4. Military Chaplains are well versed in coordinating personal/family problems with the special requirements of the military. They are a great asset for guidance from many perspectives, including as a liaison with the Navy Legal system. Furthermore, they hold much higher rank than she does which makes them an ideal advocate for her in a very difficult time.

5. Once again, you show that you really do not know what the hell you are talking about.

6. You are an idiot.
        1. she can request all she wants. That does not mean that she will get it.

2. Tell that to those (my sister included) that were denied. Does your edict apply to all parents or simply women serving in the military?

3. She is required to have guardianship papers and alternate custody papers set up in case this situation should arise.

4. Yep, they have a hot line to God. Oh, if you will be so kind to note that you do not know what her rank is, that would be great.

5. On that, you are once again sorely mistaken. What was your rate?

6. Thanx, you proved my point. Glad you could oblige.
        Last edited by mommyof4; 01-02-2007, 09:51 AM.
        HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
        How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
        (unique up on him)
        How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
        (same way)

Comment

To answer your question dad can not just sign away his rights to the child unless there is a step parent willing to adopt that child. In most states you must be married at least one year before the adoption can take place.

Comment

Working...
          X