Lower Support Continued

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Support Continued

This is continued from an old post by a poster wondering if she could get her BF child support lowered. His ex does not work, seems to be living off CS money. It is an old post but some interesting issues were brought up, so many that there were 5 pages, so if interested in previous posts, refer to old thread.

There are women living off Child Support, which is not what it was intended for.

Working as a volunteer on an "Inner City Project" the cases I was assigned to were single Mom's, I had 4 cases.

Two of these Mom's, each having three children, had moved about 3 hrs away from the NCP because they did not want to be around him, didn't matter what the Chuildren wanted, who of course wanted their Dads. This definitely limited his ability to intereact with his children. In fact visitation laws change when this is the case. It is supposed to be against the law for a CP to move without good reason, but as stated, Courts close their eyes to violations by CP and concentrate on slamming NCP if they do not pay. IT IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY, NOT BEST INTERESTS OF THE CHILD..

Neither CP worked, being supported by Child Support, Family and/or Church & State Assistance. One of these Children did not have a coat to wear, so was struggling with two sweat shirts. Another needed a bike to ride so he could play with friends, Dad's would send Christmas, but we were also asked for assistance from "Santa" and the story goes on. Point is, the NCP was paying but the children were not receiving. Some States have a law where you can ask for an accounting of the money that is paid in Child Support, but only about 11 I believe.

One of these Mother's had her Professional License suspended for drug abuse. She had some medical problems, and her children were absolutely terrified that she would die and they would have nowhere to go because they had no-one. This is crap. She has alienated them from their Father, Intentionally, and the Courts allowed it. SO there does need to be some revision on Custody, Support, and Visitation Issues.

I am writing to ALL my State Senators and Legislators with my personal story and experience and I suggest you do the same. Mike Leavitt is Secretary over Human Affairs so he would be a good one to correspond with also. I suggest sending your personal situations and the difficulties you have had with the laws as they stand. The laws are written, not enforced!! except with non-payment of CS.
    Last edited by CLAWS; 12-22-2006, 12:01 PM.

Ha, and even alot of the time the Child Support isnt even inforced!

Comment

Why not and what State??

Comment

Well, my cousin is supposed to be getting child support for her 2 kids, and the father is suposed to have insurance on them. In 10yrs he has never had insurance, and he has paid about 20 - 30 times. Its comes automatically outta his check. He never keeps jobs for very long a few months at a time. Or he just disapears for periods of times. So its hard for them to find him. He has never been threated about anything.
        He lives in Utah she lives in Colorado

Comment

I would have your cousin go doen to the enforcement office and have it enforced. Every child deserves thier child support money owed to them. For clothing,shoes, ect...

Comment

As far as I know she has. The father just changes jobs enough that they only get a few checks outta him before he changes jobs again.

Comment

Being in Utah, I know that CSE or ORS as it is called here are not easy to get around, but it does happen. I can't understand that he hasn't been threatened with jail time, or perhaps they just can't find him.

When someone with a garnishment against them quits, a report is sent to ORS. IF they know where the individual is employed they report that also. If not, ORS tracks them thru their Social Security #'s which takes time.

This is the type of "Father" that makes it difficult for all Fathers. Don't blame you for being disgusted.

Comment

Originally posted by CLAWS View Post
                Being in Utah, I know that CSE or ORS as it is called here are not easy to get around, but it does happen. I can't understand that he hasn't been threatened with jail time, or perhaps they just can't find him.

When someone with a garnishment against them quits, a report is sent to ORS. IF they know where the individual is employed they report that also. If not, ORS tracks them thru their Social Security #'s which takes time.

This is the type of "Father" that makes it difficult for all Fathers. Don't blame you for being disgusted.
                Mine only owes $25 a month and hasn't paid in over 3 years. They can't find him due to no work and address... Why can't they just walk into the local bar and make 'em pay up??? Just kidding, I don't care, $25 a month doesn't even cover school lunch.

Comment

2 stories 2 extremes

1st story is with my daughter who's father has nothing to do with her has never tried to get custody(recently found out living in crack house). Does not pay child support regularly. As a matter of fact I went over a year without any type of support at all. As of late I haven't gotten anything for 5 months and there is still an arrears from when he didn't pay for the year he was missing. They don't care if he has or hasn't paid. They have done nothing and never have.

2nd story made short SD lives with Mom. Mom told 2 men they were father. Man one being my husband. Man 2 being the person who was dumb enough to sign acknoledgment. 6 years ago obtained DNA test proving my husband to be dad(mind you he has had a part in his daughters life since she was 8 months old). Tried everything to get things fixed including writing every state official for the state of PA. Was told without moms cooperation nothing could be done. Thankfully Mom finally agreed to get things fixed. Mom for some reason decided she was going to fight one the papers were filed. Don't want to type anymore you can read it. Please refer to my thread http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthread.php?t=157940 http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthread.php?t=162639. You can copy and past it. And we were just awarded Full Custody when only asking for Joint.
                  Last edited by stepmom33; 12-23-2006, 08:21 PM.
                  Not an expert just stating what I know from experience and or moral standings

Comment

Sounds like those who refuse to pay get away with it, and those who are trying get hammered because they have a job, can be located, and they do pay. CSE can EASILY collect from them. If it gets difficult, perhaps they don't put enough effort into it??? Then CSE is charging the CP fees to collect???? They are supported by tax payers money and they are taking from those LEAST able to give anything, the children!

To mickeymouse, is the support being collected by the Denver CSE Office or the Utah Office??? Perhaps she could open a case in both States. IF he got caught in the crossfire and BOTH States collected, Oh well!

Comment

Well, the father is here in Utah, but she is in Colorado. Colorado is taking it outta her check. When she lived in Utah she never saw one check

Comment

The kids are now 17 and 19, she gave up a few yrs ago, in trying to get anything. I was just letting you know its not always inforced.

Comment

Working...
                        X