Rights in Connecticut

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rights in Connecticut

I found out that I had a daughter four years ago. At the time, she was two. I know that I have the right to persue visitation but I also know that if she does not comply there is little recourse. There have been some recent events that have caused me to question my ability to have any influence in the methods my daughter is raised. At this point I am strongly concidering relequeshing my paternal rights. What are the steps in taking such action? Are there any real alternatives? Conneticut is a woman's state and little reguard to fathers rights.

First, you say that you found out you have a daughter. Has legal paternity been established?
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

Comment

Yes. I recieved a notice in the mail and basically stated " congratulations!! You have a child support payment. Would you like to take a test?" I did and she is my child. At the time she was just about three years old. I was seeing her on a fairly regular basis without any order. As she has gotten older and has started regular schooling, I began to ask more about her day to day events and she began a strong desire to spend more time with me and less time at home. I started conversations as to what was going on at home and if there was anything that my be an issue for my duaghter. There came a point where the mother stopped all contact. There is more to the situation but I have come to a point where I believe that I have little to know part of my childs life and can no longer be an influnece to the manner in which she is raised. I wish to persue the option of volintaryrelequishing my paternal rights.

Comment

you can't

You can't just give up your rights. There has to be a steparent there willing to adopt. If parent could just sign over their kids, we'd have non custodial parents signing over kids all the time to get out of child support. Now, if she's remarried and her spouse wants to adopt, you could sign your rights over.
        For the sake of the child, you need to enforce visitation- everytime you try to excercise your court ordered visitation, take the police. They can document every time she refuses. Then take her to court for violation. If it is bad enough, you can ask for a change of custody or at least more visitation. If you think your daughter is in some kind of danger, get her counseling and get to the bottom of it.
        Walking away is not an adult response

Comment

I have no visitaion in place so that means I would have to first establish that officialy. As it stands now, I have not seen my child in over a year. Without the funds to launch into the legal system, I find there is no course of action acceptable. Without assistance and an understanding of the system there is a feeling of helplessness.

Comment

so, you have 3 choices:
            1) If she is married see if her new husband would like to adopt the child
            2) Continue to pay your child support and be an absent parent and maybe one day she'll come to you and let you explain why you were never there
            3) Go to your clerk's office and ask someone what papers you need to file and do the work it will take to be a part of your child's life. You can do it yourself, but it will take time and work and persistance and you will have to show the mother that you mean to be a part of your child's life.
            Unless you can be considered a danger, there's no reason they will not grant you some kind of visitation and if she denies, keep taking her back to court until either she gives in or the judge takes the child for interfering.

Comment

Okay, what you need to do is file for custody/visitation. If you do not have the funds for an atty, you can file pro se. You will need to file in the county in which the child resides.

Unless there is a very serious and provable reason to deny it, you WILL be granted visitation (expecially as you have had a relationship with your daughter). Once a C/V order is in place, the mother must abide by it. If she does not, you can file for contempt. You can have a say in how your daughter is raised, you just have to take the initiative to make it happen.

Now, what do you need to know? Where to start? Go to the clerk of court and ask for the forms to file for custody/visitation. There may be a small fee, (and I do mean small by reasonable people's standards) but you *may* be able to pay it at the time of the hearing.
              HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
              (unique up on him)
              (same way)

Comment

Jinx!!! you owe me a coke.
                HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                (unique up on him)
                (same way)

Comment

alright, but after today, i might have to spike mine! LOL!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X