Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question from Single Mom Utah

Hello,

I am the mother of a 6 mo old baby boy. I was never married to the baby's father and we were only together for a short peirod of time. After I found out I was pregnant then the father was no where to be found. I was told later by one of his friends that last they knew he was living in his car.
    I had my baby after I moved here to Utah.
    When I went to file for medicaid, they told me that I would have to first file for child support. I was wondering how that would work, being that he is in Colorado, (I think?) and I am in Utah. Also he is not on my son's birth certificate. I dont really want the father around my son unless my son wants him to be. He would be a very bad influence and I was told if he has to pay child support that he would get visitation rights too. Is that true? How would that work with us being in different states.
    I was never planning on getting child support, and I only need the medicaid, until I am able to get insurance through my work. Which would be in the next 7-12 months.

Originally posted by mickeymouse_5472 View Post
    Hello,

I am the mother of a 6 mo old baby boy. I was never married to the baby's father and we were only together for a short peirod of time. After I found out I was pregnant then the father was no where to be found. I was told later by one of his friends that last they knew he was living in his car.
    I had my baby after I moved here to Utah.
    When I went to file for medicaid, they told me that I would have to first file for child support. I was wondering how that would work, being that he is in Colorado, (I think?) and I am in Utah. Also he is not on my son's birth certificate. I dont really want the father around my son unless my son wants him to be. He would be a very bad influence and I was told if he has to pay child support that he would get visitation rights too. Is that true? How would that work with us being in different states.
    I was never planning on getting child support, and I only need the medicaid, until I am able to get insurance through my work. Which would be in the next 7-12 months.
    The state of Utah will contact the state of Colorado (or whatever state the father lives in) to file to establish paternity and CS. Because you have applied for taxpayer funded assistance this is some thing that you have no control over at all, you'll either have to name a father and get a CS order or you won't recieve any benfits.

Once paternity has been established, the father has the legal right to file for custody and/or visitation. This is not automatic tho, he'll need to file for it. If he does, you can expect that the court will order some type of visitation even tho you live in different states.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I will weigh the options and see what I can and should do. Thank You~

Comment

Working...
      X