Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 year olds rights Pennsylvania

Hypothetical Situation:

15 year old has been in joint custody (mother and father) since he was 4.
    His father lives in a single home with his new wife, and their new baby, within the boy's school district.
    The mother will be moving to NJ to live with her boyfriend.

If both the 15 y.o. boy and his father agree that he will now live fulltime at his father's, but his mother wants him to come live with her, what would happen?

My thoughts are that a judge would certainly side with the boy and his father,
    What are the laws in PA regarding this?

Assuming there is nothing else to deter a judge from allowing the 15 year old to stay with his father, then I would have to agree with you. The 15 year old is certainly old enough to express his wishes to a judge and have the judge actually consider them. The father would have to file for modification of the order if the mother is not willing to agree.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

Comment

Originally posted by klasserj View Post
      Hypothetical Situation:

15 year old has been in joint custody (mother and father) since he was 4.
      His father lives in a single home with his new wife, and their new baby, within the boy's school district.
      The mother will be moving to NJ to live with her boyfriend.

If both the 15 y.o. boy and his father agree that he will now live fulltime at his father's, but his mother wants him to come live with her, what would happen?

My thoughts are that a judge would certainly side with the boy and his father,
      What are the laws in PA regarding this?
      If the boy has been in the same school district for many years, that will certainly help the father with his case.

Comment

Thanks for the input.
        I'm wondering if there is a law in place that says a 15 year old can decide who he lives with. I'm thinking if he wants to stay with his dad and his dad agrees, there wouldn't even be a point in taking it to court, because the issue would be decided by law.

Comment

No, there is no law. Well, unless you count that at age 18, your child can decide where he wants to live (along with everything else).

It is up to the discretion of the judge as to whether or not your son is old enough and mature enough to make this decision. The only state that allows for a teen of a certain age to decide is Georgia (age 14) and that is only if there is no abuse, coercion, detrimental environment, etc. in the home the child wants to live in.

As was stated, though, as your son is 15 and this move would be very disruptive to his life, unless the mother can show how it is in the child's best interest to move (to a new area of the country, new school, new friends, new activities, new routine, and AWAY FROM HIS FATHER) the judge would most likely rule in your (and your son's) favor.
          HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
          How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
          (unique up on him)
          How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
          (same way)

Comment

Working...
          X