splitting insurance premiums Arkansas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• splitting insurance premiums Arkansas

My husband just started a new job and is about to get insurance on his two children from a previous marriage. He says he would not be carrying it at all if not for them because it will be a significant chunk of his paycheck.

Their divorce decree says that his ex will maintain insurance, but since she is on govt' assistance the state says that he needs to carry it. I guess they're going to modify the order.

He would like to put in a modification of his own for all costs, including the monthly premiums, to be split 50/50.

Have any of you had experience with this? Do they deduct her amount from the child support? How is child support then figured since the amount of health insurance is taken out before the CS is calculated?

Any answers are appreciated.

IF i read it correctly it says two diffrent things.
    The first way said child support is based on income: you deduct the insurance (the amount for the children) from the income and then figure 21% of the left over income as the child support payment.
    But it also says it can count as a deviation amount which would mean you could deduct that amount from the child support payments he is currently paying.
    Either way it will count in some way to lower the child support and you will have to get the amount modified by who ever regulates the child support payments in your state.

http://courts.state.ar.us/opinions/2...n_order10.html

(for some unknown reason my links never seem to works so you may have to cut and paste the address)

Comment

Your link worked

Originally posted by stuckinamuck
      IF i read it correctly it says two diffrent things.
      The first way said child support is based on income: you deduct the insurance (the amount for the children) from the income and then figure 21% of the left over income as the child support payment.
      But it also says it can count as a deviation amount which would mean you could deduct that amount from the child support payments he is currently paying.
      Either way it will count in some way to lower the child support and you will have to get the amount modified by who ever regulates the child support payments in your state.

http://courts.state.ar.us/opinions/2...n_order10.html

(for some unknown reason my links never seem to works so you may have to cut and paste the address)
      I thought you would like to know.

Comment

Good to know. Thanks

Comment

If his ex protests to splitting the insurance premiums, will a judge likely order it anyways?

Comment

She can protest but the judge will or should follow the state statutes. The law is the law. And in your state,paying for insurance is a reason to lower the child support (since that money/insurance benefits the children). The judge will order the support according to state guidelines.

Comment

Working...
            X