Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Georgia - Custody question - PLEASE help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Georgia - Custody question - PLEASE help!

Hi,

I wondered if anyone could help me out by answering a couple of quick questions. At what age does a child's preference for where they live come into play in GA? I've heard that it's 12 and I've also heard that it's 14. What happens if one child wants to live with one parent and visit the other every other weekend while the other wants a 50/50 7 days each split (assuming both are over the age that their desires matter) ? The parents live less than a mile apart and the older child will be driving in 2 months. How would child support work in the latter case? (The parent that is non-custodial for child #1 earns only a private insurance disability income that is non-taxable which is less that half of the custodial parent's income.)

Thank you in advance for you help!

In GA it is 14 absent any abuse or outward discression by the judge. BTW.. GA is the ONLY state that allows a child to decide.

Now the reason I pointed out that about the judge is because what also comes into play is the fact that one wants to change and one wants 50/50. The judge may be very reluctant to do it that way and order it one way or the other for both children.

Comment

in georgia at age 11 the child can state their preference and at 14 the judge has to listen no choice. at 18 of course they get to make all the decisions being that they are then a legal adult. but at 14 the child gets to decide for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by daughterofdivorce
        in georgia at age 11 the child can state their preference and at 14 the judge has to listen no choice. at 18 of course they get to make all the decisions being that they are then a legal adult. but at 14 the child gets to decide for the most part.
        In Ga, the court will consider the child's wishes along with any educational needs at the age of 11. The court is in no way bound to grant the child's request. At 14, the child's wishes will be granted UNLESS THE PARENT SO CHOSEN IS DEEMED TO BE UNFIT TO APPROPRIATELY PARENT THE CHILD. (As Suzy said)

It is important to give ALL of the information. Many teens will come on and see what they want to read without looking further for the complete information.
        HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
        How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
        (unique up on him)
        How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
        (same way)

Comment

Working...
        X