X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrongfully terminated/harassed in indiana

here's the situation:
    I called off on a Sunday, minor illness, and this was my 2nd time ever calling off in the year and a half I'd been there.
    My boss calls me the following day (monday) AT MY HOME, and asked me what my problem was, and that the asst. mgr. told him I called off again for this day (mon)..I NEVER called anyone and told them I was calling off again...he accused me of going out and getting drunk which is why I didn't come into work (I don't drink, I told him that also). I told him it was none of his F***ing business, what happens in my personal life anyway and it doesn't affect my job, whatsoever. Towards the end of this call, I was upset and very angry...I told him he s**ked as a manager and he suspended me. The following day I called him and asked how long I was suspended for...he told me "I don't know"...very rudely. I told him he didn't have to be an a** about it, he told me never to call the store again. Fine..a week later he calls me again...tells me my job has been terminated. With no reason, no paperwork...nothing. I call to get the number for Human Resources, and was denied it, more than twice and told to get it myself.

Two agencies need my information on when I was fired...they've sent forms to him, he won't fill them out. They've called Human resources, they told the agencies I quit. (I never quit, or told anyone I was quitting). Can't file for unemployment now...because he lied about firing me.

What can I do about it, if anything and who can I contact about the whole situation? I know Indiana is an at-will State.

Of course, you can file for unemployment. It might be denied, but you could appeal that. Any witnesses you have would help you, but I wouldn't just not file.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by penn1017
      here's the situation:
      I called off on a Sunday, minor illness, and this was my 2nd time ever calling off in the year and a half I'd been there.
      My boss calls me the following day (monday) AT MY HOME, and asked me what my problem was, and that the asst. mgr. told him I called off again for this day (mon)..I NEVER called anyone and told them I was calling off again...he accused me of going out and getting drunk which is why I didn't come into work (I don't drink, I told him that also). I told him it was none of his F***ing business, what happens in my personal life anyway and it doesn't affect my job, whatsoever. Towards the end of this call, I was upset and very angry...I told him he s**ked as a manager and he suspended me. The following day I called him and asked how long I was suspended for...he told me "I don't know"...very rudely. I told him he didn't have to be an a** about it, he told me never to call the store again. Fine..a week later he calls me again...tells me my job has been terminated. With no reason, no paperwork...nothing. I call to get the number for Human Resources, and was denied it, more than twice and told to get it myself.

Two agencies need my information on when I was fired...they've sent forms to him, he won't fill them out. They've called Human resources, they told the agencies I quit. (I never quit, or told anyone I was quitting). Can't file for unemployment now...because he lied about firing me.

What can I do about it, if anything and who can I contact about the whole situation? I know Indiana is an at-will State.
      MAN! if you talk to me like that, I would have terminated your position as well. Your attitude and language was your demise. As far as unemployment is concerned, you can still file, nothing is stopping you, the UEI board will get the infiormation they need to consider what benefits you are intitled to. If the company persists on claiming you quit when you didn't, you can appeal the UEI decision and go to an appeal hearing.
      Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

Understandable

True...my language and attitude attributed to the decision...but, am I just supposed to sit around and let someone talk to me like he has and accuse me of doing things I haven't done, and never do (drinking). He called me on MY time, at MY house bothering me. I was NOT on the clock. Freedom of speech.

Comment

Just a minor clarification. Freedom of speech has nothing to do with using profanity while talking to your boss. In many places, there are actually ordinances disallowing the use of profanity in public. Freedom of speech gives you the protection to voice your opinion without fear of reprisal from the government. It is actually suppose to protect you when you disagree with your government. (Ya' know, so it won't be like the old USSR, Iraq, Afghanistan, et al) I know that had nothing to do with what you were asking, just had to respond to that last little sentence.
          HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
          How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
          (unique up on him)
          How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
          (same way)

Comment

Freedom of speech ends where your employer's ears begin. It doesn't matter if you were at work, at home or on the moon. Swearing at your manager is not in any way shape or form protected speech under the Constitution or any other law.

If you felt the information he had was in error there is nothing stopping you from correcting him, but you needed to do so respectfully. Using profanity and calling into question his management abilities is pretty much begging to be fired.

What you can do is to lose the attitude and profanity going forward. You are going to run across those in your career that you disagree with or who have the wrong impression about you. Remaining professional gives you the benefit of the doubt. Fly off the handle and treat others like dirt because you feel you have a "right" to, and you've pretty much demonstrated you don't deserve the benefit of the doubt.
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
            X