Terminated by the good ole boys club. California

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminated by the good ole boys club. California

I worked for a pharmacy retailer. This particular store was in an extremely crime ridden area of town. When I was placed there as store manager the shrink proposed that there was an internal issue. There were some BAU interviews conducted with employees resulting in 7 terminations. I came up with a series of plans to attack shrink and took the total percentage of shrink from nearly 18%!to 2.75% in about 1 year. There was one particular employee who sidestepped the termination we referred to as the class of 2007 but my boss and I both had a feeling there was something he was hiding. He was just really good at staying focused on denial. So we could do nothing. Employee behavior and habits were encouraged to become more aligned with the stores shrink plan with accountability a big part of the plan. Let's fast forward 6 years. The plan still working there was a liquor theft issue that was still a big part of shrink. The plan, move the liquor behind the counter similar to a liquor store layout, only the distilled spirits no wine. This would still be a win just logistically had to ensure our distribution quantities adjusted accommodate the reduced space 96 ft to 24 ft. Huge difference. Fast forward another 2 years. New loss prevention district manager. The previous person a strong personality woman with an earned respect. She was consistent and fair and welcomed challenges. Since she herself learned from challenges to the status quo. This attitude was not shared with the new person who replaced her as she was promoted. This new person was promoted from store manager to the room position and had this my store was tougher than yours attitude. Didn't know it was a competition. I thought we all had a shared goal. My direct manager the dm had moved to a different district and then we one was part of the same clique as the rlpm I was injured on the job from pull pallets of water across carpet, my dm watched me struggle as he chatted on his cell phone rather than assist. Let me tell you how difficult it is to pull a pallet of water across carpet without a power assisted pallet jack. I took a week off as a recommendation from doctor. The boss not happy but oh well. I also was receiving a lower and lower labor budget. Where I was the only employee aside from 1 cashier. So I was the receiver the shelf stocker janitor manager bookkeeper. The list went on and on. I remained in an injured status and in addition to this there was an event that occurred on a day I was in the store on a vacation day where two individuals entered the store. I was on the sales floor and I went to the front very instinctual to the behaviors of a certain attitude or appearance. Tattoos indicating gang affiliation etc. I told my two ladies up front. Whatever it is these two want you accommodate them and let them leave. They gave me the impression they were dangerous and I valued the lives of my two coworkers far more than anything these two could take. Well to my admonition there were two loss prevention individuals that were "occasionally" at my store and by occasionally I mean maybe 8 hours a week. Maybe. So these two decided to go after these two frightening individuals as they ran after them I yelled for them to stop. They ignored me and subsequently were beaten up pretty badly outside the store adjacent to ours. Pepper sprayed with their own pepper spray. I called 911. The police admonished the two lp individuals. Explaining to them that by going after the two they were exposing more people in the public to danger which is true and I had explained to these two on more than one occasion. This was something you had to let go sometimes. Later the same afternoon I received a call from an employee. They evidently caught one of the individuals that was involved in what the police reported as strong arm robbery with assault. So this person was just released from prison and this was a third strike. A week later my name plaque was removed from the front of the building. Now to me I took this as a threat. I relayed my concern to my district manager he said don't worry about it. Well to me I was worried. They saw me as a representation of the criminal charges this person was facing. Not the two lp agents that were at my store 8 hours a week if I were so "unlucky" they caused more problems than they rectified. I was working with the neighborhood. I would catch people stealing I would talk to them as human beings I was donating close to expired and slight damaged packaging items to the local schools and shelters and places that were helping the underprivileged. I was telling the gang members of the neighborhood when I had the opportunity that they were for lack of a better way to phrase it "pissing in their own backyard" let's stop and help each other. I was gaining traction. One high ranking gang member was caught by lp and when asked for identification upstairs I happened to turn around and look in the adjoining office and saw him raise his shirt and say how's that for identification I told lp that they were to immediately release him. They argued and I told the gang member to get up and go I would deal with this. 3 days later I was given the name plate back on the building. In my opinion I was granted a reprieve. Of course the lp manager was pissed off at me for going against policy whatever policy was they didn't really have a rule I told him I was at the store 70 plus hours a week the lp maybe 8. I am the face they associate with what happens. He told me I was not to interfere again. Oh boy I get mad looking back. Let me give a little backdrop to the relationship between the new lp manager he gave me my first audit something they did I monthly in high shrink stores well my store was very high on the list in spite of my extreme improvement. He gave me a fail for having a question on the list not within guidelines. It stated is the register closest to the door in use. The answer was no however corporate direction was that I man the register in the service center since my liquor was behind the counter. They were concerned that liquor sales be affected if someone were not there to help the customer. My dm at the time related this information when he rolled this out to me and 1 other store. I disputed the fail on the question and the lp manager told me to shut up and listen to the question infront of two direct subordinates to which they gasped as he finished saying it. I was immediately taken aback and was silent although inside I was STEAMING MAD how dare he say that to me in front of my team. Two shift supervisors on break and just outside the door. I calmly said to him "do you know what I think"? He became angry and said what I said never mind he said no. Just say whatever it is you think I said fine. I think you are inconsistent. The level of gray area when it comes to whether a person meets the criteria for a question your lp audit is dependent on whether or not the person falls within a certain category. Male or female. Since a store down the street was regularly audited and was always behind on paperwork but never failed on the question it I was far ahead where this male manager was but I was failed. The lp manager became red in the faces slammed his laptop closed and said well do you want me to finish this audit now or not. I calmly said whatever you are supposed to do. I don't care either way. I have work to do. He got up left slammed my office door on the way out. A month later I received the audit results. FAILED. The recourse I took didn't help. The dm now in place was a friend of the lp manager and part of the good ole boys club. 2 weeks later I prepared for a meeting early Sunday morning. I was in at 5 am went to my car at 640 am and discovered my car windows smashed. My laptop bag with my laptop was stolen all my tax transcripts were in the bag all credit cards etc. I was parked directly in front of the door with cameras pointed at my car. Unfortunately due to reflection issues nothing could be seen. The company did nothing to ensure my safety. Three days later. My purse located in my office "behind coded doors" was emptied of its contents. I had the rent money from the bank since my cards were gone I had to go to bank and withdrawal cash. My car key my house keys everything only my purse was left there. At the time I was blown away. How did this happen. I was in the back room nearly the entire time I was cleaning as usual. Organizing backroom. It occurred to me that it had to be internal since the alarm never went off at the door. I couldn't prove anything. Dm and lp did nothing to investigate the incident. Nothing at all. That should be lp's job. Well at the time I was in a relationship with someone I now have a criminal protective order against. Someone that at times was somewhat considerate that I later discovered told someone else that infused in me that he told he was going to destroy me at my employer. Because I had him jailed for a warrant I discovered he had. I didn't want the person at my home knowing he had a warrant. A month after being told this by the person I was fired after this witch hunt audit that was ridiculous and obvious.prior to the end of audit I knew what they were doing and told my dm I knew what they were doing. I'm going to the doctors now. I'll be back with a note. This is stressful and you as a company are causing me stress. They could do nothing. The day I returned to work against the advisement of my doctor I was brought in the office by my dm and was placed on suspension by the lp manager. Not by my dm. Who was my supervisor not lp. For failure to record my time properly . I was classified as hourly approximately a month prior after several years of salary. It was often joked about in meeting. The managers openly talked about how they would merely put 8.75 hours on the time clock online even thought they worked well passed. My dm even asked me a couple times if I were remembering to punch out on the register jokingly saying yeah no one is used to it yet. I told them I worked well over any hours posted and the LP manager said well then we will fire you for working off the clock then. I looked at my dm and told him. You're spineless. He isn't even my boss. You are. You even joked with me about remembering to punch and he said I can't believe you are using that as a defense. Did they act in discriminative behavior were they unjust? I was denied unemployment compensation which initially I was denied but appealed. Ironically the edd justice review was held in a location 150 miles away but the street name was the same as the street my store was on. I took that as a sign. The judge at first was quick to tell me how they never made a decision immediately and that I would receive a decision in the mail. But after the review hearing he was so angry at the company and their behavior he granted approval right then and there. Absolutely appalled at their behavior and their following of guidelines. Considering my length of employment and results and actions.

I had an assistant manager who was violating the timecard policies, he was an hourly employee and was lazy and never completed any assigned work all of which was documented and the timecard issues were submitted. Evidently he and my dm golfed together occasionally and those issues were never addressed. I was fired for what my assistant manager was doing and he was never held accountable. This happened nearly 3 years ago. I am merely curious as to what others think about this situation. I had 11 years with this company and felt appalled that a company could be so evil.
    Last edited by Dianav71; 07-28-2017, 06:29 PM. Reason: Adding details

Originally posted by Dianav71 View Post
    I worked for a pharmacy retailer. This particular store was in an extremely crime ridden area of town. When I was placed there as store manager the shrink proposed that there was an internal issue. There were some BAU interviews conducted with employees resulting in 7 terminations. I came up with a series of plans to attack shrink and took the total percentage of shrink from nearly 18%!to 2.75% in about 1 year. There was one particular employee who sidestepped the termination we referred to as the class of 2007 but my boss and I both had a feeling there was something he was hiding. He was just really good at staying focused on denial. So we could do nothing. Employee behavior and habits were encouraged to become more aligned with the stores shrink plan with accountability a big part of the plan. Let's fast forward 6 years. The plan still working there was a liquor theft issue that was still a big part of shrink. The plan, move the liquor behind the counter similar to a liquor store layout, only the distilled spirits no wine. This would still be a win just logistically had to ensure our distribution quantities adjusted accommodate the reduced space 96 ft to 24 ft. Huge difference. Fast forward another 2 years. New loss prevention district manager. The previous person a strong personality woman with an earned respect. She was consistent and fair and welcomed challenges. Since she herself learned from challenges to the status quo. This attitude was not shared with the new person who replaced her as she was promoted. This new person was promoted from store manager to the room position and had this my store was tougher than yours attitude. Didn't know it was a competition. I thought we all had a shared goal. My direct manager the dm had moved to a different district and then we one was part of the same clique as the rlpm I was injured on the job from pull pallets of water across carpet, my dm watched me struggle as he chatted on his cell phone rather than assist. Let me tell you how difficult it is to pull a pallet of water across carpet without a power assisted pallet jack. I took a week off as a recommendation from doctor. The boss not happy but oh well. I also was receiving a lower and lower labor budget. Where I was the only employee aside from 1 cashier. So I was the receiver the shelf stocker janitor manager bookkeeper. The list went on and on. I remained in an injured status and in addition to this there was an event that occurred on a day I was in the store on a vacation day where two individuals entered the store. I was on the sales floor and I went to the front very instinctual to the behaviors of a certain attitude or appearance. Tattoos indicating gang affiliation etc. I told my two ladies up front. Whatever it is these two want you accommodate them and let them leave. They gave me the impression they were dangerous and I valued the lives of my two coworkers far more than anything these two could take. Well to my admonition there were two loss prevention individuals that were "occasionally" at my store and by occasionally I mean maybe 8 hours a week. Maybe. So these two decided to go after these two frightening individuals as they ran after them I yelled for them to stop. They ignored me and subsequently were beaten up pretty badly outside the store adjacent to ours. Pepper sprayed with their own pepper spray. I called 911. The police admonished the two lp individuals. Explaining to them that by going after the two they were exposing more people in the public to danger which is true and I had explained to these two on more than one occasion. This was something you had to let go sometimes. Later the same afternoon I received a call from an employee. They evidently caught one of the individuals that was involved in what the police reported as strong arm robbery with assault. So this person was just released from prison and this was a third strike. A week later my name plaque was removed from the front of the building. Now to me I took this as a threat. I relayed my concern to my district manager he said don't worry about it. Well to me I was worried. They saw me as a representation of the criminal charges this person was facing. Not the two lp agents that were at my store 8 hours a week if I were so "unlucky" they caused more problems than they rectified. I was working with the neighborhood. I would catch people stealing I would talk to them as human beings I was donating close to expired and slight damaged packaging items to the local schools and shelters and places that were helping the underprivileged. I was telling the gang members of the neighborhood when I had the opportunity that they were for lack of a better way to phrase it "pissing in their own backyard" let's stop and help each other. I was gaining traction. One high ranking gang member was caught by lp and when asked for identification upstairs I happened to turn around and look in the adjoining office and saw him raise his shirt and say how's that for identification I told lp that they were to immediately release him. They argued and I told the gang member to get up and go I would deal with this. 3 days later I was given the name plate back on the building. In my opinion I was granted a reprieve. Of course the lp manager was pissed off at me for going against policy whatever policy was they didn't really have a rule I told him I was at the store 70 plus hours a week the lp maybe 8. I am the face they associate with what happens. He told me I was not to interfere again. Oh boy I get mad looking back. Let me give a little backdrop to the relationship between the new lp manager he gave me my first audit something they did I monthly in high shrink stores well my store was very high on the list in spite of my extreme improvement. He gave me a fail for having a question on the list not within guidelines. It stated is the register closest to the door in use. The answer was no however corporate direction was that I man the register in the service center since my liquor was behind the counter. They were concerned that liquor sales be affected if someone were not there to help the customer. My dm at the time related this information when he rolled this out to me and 1 other store. I disputed the fail on the question and the lp manager told me to shut up and listen to the question infront of two direct subordinates to which they gasped as he finished saying it. I was immediately taken aback and was silent although inside I was STEAMING MAD how dare he say that to me in front of my team. Two shift supervisors on break and just outside the door. I calmly said to him "do you know what I think"? He became angry and said what I said never mind he said no. Just say whatever it is you think I said fine. I think you are inconsistent. The level of gray area when it comes to whether a person meets the criteria for a question your lp audit is dependent on whether or not the person falls within a certain category. Male or female. Since a store down the street was regularly audited and was always behind on paperwork but never failed on the question it I was far ahead where this male manager was but I was failed. The lp manager became red in the faces slammed his laptop closed and said well do you want me to finish this audit now or not. I calmly said whatever you are supposed to do. I don't care either way. I have work to do. He got up left slammed my office door on the way out. A month later I received the audit results. FAILED. The recourse I took didn't help. The dm now in place was a friend of the lp manager and part of the good ole boys club. 2 weeks later I prepared for a meeting early Sunday morning. I was in at 5 am went to my car at 640 am and discovered my car windows smashed. My laptop bag with my laptop was stolen all my tax transcripts were in the bag all credit cards etc. I was parked directly in front of the door with cameras pointed at my car. Unfortunately due to reflection issues nothing could be seen. The company did nothing to ensure my safety. Three days later. My purse located in my office "behind coded doors" was emptied of its contents. I had the rent money from the bank since my cards were gone I had to go to bank and withdrawal cash. My car key my house keys everything only my purse was left there. At the time I was blown away. How did this happen. I was in the back room nearly the entire time I was cleaning as usual. Organizing backroom. It occurred to me that it had to be internal since the alarm never went off at the door. I couldn't prove anything. Dm and lp did nothing to investigate the incident. Nothing at all. That should be lp's job. Well at the time I was in a relationship with someone I now have a criminal protective order against. Someone that at times was somewhat considerate that I later discovered told someone else that infused in me that he told he was going to destroy me at my employer. Because I had him jailed for a warrant I discovered he had. I didn't want the person at my home knowing he had a warrant. A month after being told this by the person I was fired after this witch hunt audit that was ridiculous and obvious.prior to the end of audit I knew what they were doing and told my dm I knew what they were doing. I'm going to the doctors now. I'll be back with a note. This is stressful and you as a company are causing me stress. They could do nothing. The day I returned to work against the advisement of my doctor I was brought in the office by my dm and was placed on suspension by the lp manager. Not by my dm. Who was my supervisor not lp. For failure to record my time properly . I was classified as hourly approximately a month prior after several years of salary. It was often joked about in meeting. The managers openly talked about how they would merely put 8.75 hours on the time clock online even thought they worked well passed. My dm even asked me a couple times if I were remembering to punch out on the register jokingly saying yeah no one is used to it yet. I told them I worked well over any hours posted and the LP manager said well then we will fire you for working off the clock then. I looked at my dm and told him. You're spineless. He isn't even my boss. You are. You even joked with me about remembering to punch and he said I can't believe you are using that as a defense. Did they act in discriminative behavior were they unjust? I was denied unemployment compensation which initially I was denied but appealed. Ironically the edd justice review was held in a location 150 miles away but the street name was the same as the street my store was on. I took that as a sign. The judge at first was quick to tell me how they never made a decision immediately and that I would receive a decision in the mail. But after the review hearing he was so angry at the company and their behavior he granted approval right then and there. Absolutely appalled at their behavior and their following of guidelines. Considering my length of employment and results and actions.

I had an assistant manager who was violating the timecard policies, he was an hourly employee and was lazy and never completed any assigned work all of which was documented and the timecard issues were submitted. Evidently he and my dm golfed together occasionally and those issues were never addressed. I was fired for what my assistant manager was doing and he was never held accountable. This happened nearly 3 years ago. I am merely curious as to what others think about this situation. I had 11 years with this company and felt appalled that a company could be so evil.
    This is almost impossible to read. You need to do some serious editing and paragraphing.

That said, if you're asking if your termination was wrongful under the law, please understand that terminations are only wrongful under the law if they're done for a reason that is specifically prohibited by law. Examples of reasons specifically prohibited by law include things like race, gender, religion, disability and age etc.

I did manage to glean from your post that you were fired three years ago. If that's the case, please note that even if your termination was wrongful under the law, it's way too late to do anything about it now. The legal SOL on this has expired.

Comment

Working...
    X