X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fired for no real reason, and lied on termination form Texas Texas

Hi,
    I'm from texas, and I was fired for no reason at all. What got me upset was I tried filing for unemployment, and They said I didn't qualify. I found out it was due to the fact that my boss put under reasons I got fired were stealing, unprofessional, and carrying a weapon. I mainly upest because it cause me alot of hardship, and also, I lost health insurance for my daughter. Does this sound like I have a chance at sueing. I also have the false paper they signned with the reasons, I'm not a gun owner and there's no police report or witnesses. I sort of feel like they just didn't want me to work there for personal reasons and didn't want me to get unemployment.

Thanks,
    Chris

Firing someone for "no reason at all" is legal.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will

Lying to state UI is likely not legal, or at least a violation of state UI rules. And it is possible that a defamation claim can be supported, but that is the sort of thing that you really need to have a face-to-face meeting with a termination laywer on.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slander
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Agree. If they came right out & lied & said you were fired for stealing, having a weapon ...., you "might" have a case. You need to talk to a lawyer as suggested.

PS - Did you appeal the UI decision? It never hurts to appeal.
      Last edited by Betty3; 01-29-2012, 12:30 AM. Reason: add PS
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by roaringlion View Post
        Hi,
        I'm from texas, and I was fired for no reason at all. What got me upset was I tried filing for unemployment, and They said I didn't qualify. I found out it was due to the fact that my boss put under reasons I got fired were stealing, unprofessional, and carrying a weapon. I mainly upest because it cause me alot of hardship, and also, I lost health insurance for my daughter. Does this sound like I have a chance at sueing. I also have the false paper they signned with the reasons, I'm not a gun owner and there's no police report or witnesses. I sort of feel like they just didn't want me to work there for personal reasons and didn't want me to get unemployment.

Thanks,
        Chris
        Did you steal or carry a gun into work? Just because you are not a gun owner doesn't mean you didn't get one from someone else? I also agree you should appeal the unemployment.

Comment

I'm from texas, and I was fired for no reason at all. Your employer doesn't need a reason although clearly they feel they had one, even if it's untrue/inaccurate.

Does this sound like I have a chance at sueing. No.

I also have the false paper they signned with the reasons I assume that means you have a copy of your employer's separation form in which they stated the reasons for your termination. Even if the information is incorrect, your employer hasn't done anything illegal.

I sort of feel like they just didn't want me to work there for personal reasons and didn't want me to get unemployment. I'm supposing you received an Initial Determination from the State denying UC benefits. If it's not too late, you need to appeal the decision and file for a hearing. The burden of proof will be on your employer to demonstrate that you brought a weapon to work and that you stole from them. That's going to be a difficult standard for them to meet if they don't have any proof of your doing so. (It's not illegal to have fired you for suspicion of those things however.)

Comment

However; if the employer actually lied & said the OP was stealing from them & brought a weapon to work (& not suspected OP did), the OP might have a defamation case. It wouldn't hurt to talk to an attorney in that case.

OP, see DAW's link above.
            Last edited by Betty3; 01-30-2012, 08:54 AM.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Notice how the OP has never actually said he didn't bring a gun to work (only said "I'm not a gun owner) and that he didn't steal (only said "there's no police report or witnesses")? Very interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by eerelations View Post
                Notice how the OP has never actually said he didn't bring a gun to work (only said "I'm not a gun owner) and that he didn't steal (only said "there's no police report or witnesses")? Very interesting...
                I noticed that which was why I asked the question.

Comment

Originally posted by HRinMA View Post
                  I noticed that which was why I asked the question.
                  I know you noticed, I was just wondering if others did. And stating that I had noticed too. That's all.

Comment

I noticed but just wasn't exactly sure how to take it. Also said was terminated due to having a weapon - didn't say gun. (said he didn't own a gun)

Comment

I think OP was being deliberately vague. Interesting that he hasn't come back to answer our questions about the alleged gun and the alleged theft...

Comment

Yep, only the OP knows the whole complete true story.

Comment

Working...
                        X