This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About-to-be Wrongful Termination Alabama Michigan

I ran into some tangles after voicing some concerns about the goals I had been given and the boundaries, lack of resources, and coworker's advantages which all seemed to be less than advantageous to my success. On my 3 month performance evaluation, the comments I made came back as adverse remarks on my performance and interpersonal relationships. I was recongized in a positive light for my performance, but the overall ranking of my evaluation was unsatisfactory. They were focused mainly on my interpersonal skills. Simulataneously, I began having a problem with a manager of a different department after he'd blame me for his wrongdoings, which didn't help my relationship with my boss and I feel made him more skeptical of me. That same evaluation included false facts that the manager accused me of. I was dumbfounded and astonished that all of this was going on. I was scared and felt I had to clear my name so I kept trying to speak up and tell my boss what was really going on, which only made things worse. Other than that, I tried to shrug it off and think that I obviously had given them the wrong impression and they were just trying to put me in my place. I was ok with that and began to try to make ammends by being respectful, building a better rapport and proving my innocence via email. That worked with some, but didn't with my boss. Also, the false statements by that manager continued. A few months later, my 1yr. evaluation began attacking my performance, even though it was actually better per the activity increase due to the results of my efforts. I almost had the interpersonal relationships problem corrected, but my evaluation didn't reveal that. That 1yr evaluation meeting included the HR rep for the first time too. Before that evaluation,she reached out to me and said she's here to support me, yada yada. After the evaluation, her attitude and comments became a lot like my boss'. After that evaluation, I vowed to myself to stay under the radar and bust ***. A couple month's later, I am written up twice in one day for things that happened the last couple of months. Clearly, they were trivial reasons to write me up for, but they can do that and they did.

My problem is that if it's an at-will relationship, why are they giving me bad evaluations mainly comprised of false facts or from innocent questions I asked so I could do my job to their satisfaction, or trivial remarks which I believe were derived from the things they did to me. The write ups happened right after they disclosed some concerning financial news about the company and an executive ROI meeting was held.

I guess it's obvious they want me gone, and though not fair it's legal. Is there anything I should do now while still employed to negotiate a sound future for myself and protect my reputation? And if they don't cooperate or insist on throwing me to the wolves, is there anything I should do legally to protect myself?

I am not sure that there is some magic answer here.
    - Arguing with one's boss or other senior managers rarely if ever works. It generally makes the situation worse, not better.
    - If they want to fire you, they can.
    - I have no idea why they are going through the effort of faking up bad reviews. Especially in a bad economy. I have worked for different employers in a bad economy and employees who people wanted to get rid of were laid off, not written up. When you go through the trouble of writing up someone, you generally are making some effort to salvage them.
    - I am really unclear about your negotiate a sound future for myself and protect my reputation statement. "Negotiate" with whom? "Protect your reputation" how? The employer can fire you if they want to. They legally can have a different opinion of your value as an employee then you have of yourself. I am unclear just how your stated goals are supposed to be obtainable.

You can start looking for another job. You can quit (not advised). You can shut up, and do your job. Those are your choices. If you have other options, I am not seeing them. My recommendation for whatever it is worth is to both start looking for another job AND shut up and do your job. If they fire you, they fire you. You have no control over that. You have no control over your employer's opinion of you. Focus on items that you actually have some control over.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

FYI, what you have described may be unfair, but it is not a wrongful termination as defined by law.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Das ist in der Doktor!

bullseyeforehead: I ran into some tangles after voicing some concerns about the goals I had been given and the boundaries, lack of resources, and coworker's advantages which all seemed to be less than advantageous to my success
        Unless such things are done with the skill of a veteran diplomat, skills that most of us lack, you run the risk of stepping on the already insecure toes of a member of management, who will have no reservations taking steps they feel necessary to further insure their employment,
        .. at your expense.
        I once had a boss whoís style of management could be best summed up in five or six of his own words, and they were,
        Shut up and go to work.

Many times, Iíve found that to be very sound advice,
        ...when it came to keeping my job..

.._________________
        ~ VOTE ALL INCUMBENTS OUT IN 2012,
        WE NEED TO MAKE ROOM FOR A NEW BATCH OF CROOKS

Comment

Thanks for the advice. It definitely is a bizarre situation. I've already shut up. And have a couple of options to work elsewhere. I just didn't know if there's anything I could approach them with to satisfy them and protect my rep. Meaning, quit the bs evaluations which are bogus and they know that or I could prove that, give me some tangible benchmarks not he-said, she-said, and the consequences if I meet them or if I don't. I'll stick with the first options. Thanks guys!

Originally posted by drruthless View Post
          Unless such things are done with the skill of a veteran diplomat, skills that most of us lack, you run the risk of stepping on the already insecure toes of a member of management, who will have no reservations taking steps they feel necessary to further insure their employment,
          .. at your expense.
          I once had a boss whoís style of management could be best summed up in five or six of his own words, and they were,
          Shut up and go to work.

Many times, Iíve found that to be very sound advice,
          ...when it came to keeping my job..

.._________________
          ~ VOTE ALL INCUMBENTS OUT IN 2012,
          WE NEED TO MAKE ROOM FOR A NEW BATCH OF CROOKS

Comment

This is what a wrongful termination is:

http://employeeissues.com/wrongful_termination.htm
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Das ist in der Doktor!

Originally posted by bullseyeforehead View Post
              Thanks for the advice. It definitely is a bizarre situation. I've already shut up. And have a couple of options to work elsewhere. I just didn't know if there's anything I could approach them with to satisfy them and protect my rep. Meaning, quit the bs evaluations which are bogus and they know that or I could prove that, give me some tangible benchmarks not he-said, she-said, and the consequences if I meet them or if I don't. I'll stick with the first options. Thanks guys!

Something you might want to consider for future reference,
              take a class or two in business management.
              If nothing else youíll learn where management is coming from,
              and that you canít fight the bottom line,
              Öbut you can learn how to use it.
              Good Luck.

.._______________
              ~ Come as you are,
              leave as you always wanted to be.

Comment

Working...
              X