This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suspended Minnesota

I am about to be suspended monday. They knowingly scheduled me on a day I cannot work apparently with the intention of suspending me when I failed to show up. I have written them a few letters one of which wondered if it was discrimination as I am disabled. I also asked them if it was some work performance issue. What they are saying is that I failed to let them know what holidays I wanted off so they scheduled me for all of them. The only one that was trouble was the last one. I have been trying to find someone to cover but no luck. I need to know what to expect from a suspension and whether I should take my suspicions to corporate. If I am fired from the suspension I plan to file for unemployment and if that doesnt take file a grievance. I have been with this company for 4 years. Any questions or details needed let me know. I am going to be watching this for awhile

I have been googling around and it sounds like I do not even have to accept the suspension and can go right to unemployment. I understand from the internet that these suspensions usually last 1-10 days. What do you think? I fear an avalance of baseless complaints my way. I did get a coworker feedback complaining of a messy office and a note from my boss saying people are sending feedback saying the office is messy. They office looked great before and after I left. heh.
    Last edited by Brant Coyle; 12-29-2010, 12:38 AM. Reason: stuff

I do not understand the situation.

You were scheduled to work on specific holidays; you were required to find someone to cover for you and could not, so when you didn't show up, you were written up? Is that correct?

What is your disability and why do you think it has anything to do with this?

A "grievance" is a term generallly used in a union environment; are you covered by a union contract? If so, what does your CBA say about this situation?

If you are suspended, you can always file for unemployment, whether you file a "grievance" or not. However, expect the employer to protest your claim.

What do you mean by not "accepting" the suspension? Does that mean you plan to quit if you are suspended?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Yeah I work two jobs. they scheduled me on new years eve after I told them I cannot work it because I work my other job. This is in the future. My disability is schizophrenia. I was told that there were many other people available to work that shift. Now when they find out the shift isnt being covered they want to suspend me. I normally dont work weekends. Their excuse is that I didnt fill out some form to tell them what hollidays I want off. I was told by my friend to just show up for my next scheduled shift after my missed one and see what they do so thats what I am going to do. I have worked all hollidays and worked christmas last year. I am really getting tired of being pushed around by these guys/and gals.

Oops forgot something. I wrote by boss and asked her what form of disipline missing this shift would take and she wrote back I would be suspended. I really dont like it here, certain people are always complaining, my performance reviews seem really bad. The performance review I got in febuary was all unacceptables. I have never gotten even a slightly good performance review. Peoples generally sit around and do nothing whilst I do the majority of the work. Haven't got a raise in 3 and a half years. I get at least two dollars an hour less than everyone else around here. Plus I have never heard one word of encourgment in the past year. etc etc. The job is relatively easy but it also if 40 miles from my house. I personally will be glad to not be around and all those complainers will not have me to do their work and will have to instead find someone else to feed on who may not be such an easy target.
      Last edited by Brant Coyle; 12-29-2010, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Although it puts workers in a hard position, your employer is not required to accommodate your other job when scheduling you.
        I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Agree with Morgana. You were scheduled to work the holiday (for whatever reason). If you choose not to show up, you risk not only suspension, but termination. And I wouldn't count on unemployment.

I still don't know what your schizophrenia has to do with this.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I am guessing that they have been planning this for weeks. They had me work Christmas rewriting the schedule to fit me in there. When it turned out I had that weekend off they put me in for New Years Eve which I do work. The didnt put me in for secret santa and I put a vacation request in weeks ago and they are just now getting ready to approve or deny it. They pushed it back a week. Just from googling around I think that you have to sign some disiplinary forms in order to be suspended. I guess I am probably not going to sign them. I am hoping they they do not drag this out and torture me with endless writeups. I will put in the unemployment anyway since it costs nothing. I am assuming that they are just going to pile on the BS til it starts to stink and I will get it. If not I will file the discrimination complaint. There have been derogatory comments made to me about my disability but they were made by a harmless idiot coworker so they wont be included in my complaint. I guess I will be honest and see what happens. I really want to quit but I wont get anything by quitting so I am sitting here waiting it out. This job is draining the life out of me. I really dont need anything from them because I can get a reference from my other job.

Comment

The operative word is guessing. And I don't know what you goggled but there is nothing in the law that says you have to sign anything before you can be suspended.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

& even if you're asked to sign something & don't, you can still be suspended or
                even terminated.
                Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Well thanks for the info. I am interested in what they do do. I am guessing that they are going to keep me around for a week because they probably still need me. Then I take my vacation. Then they find my replacement. I am looking to move on. I am tired of working for these jerks. A week of vacation gives me time to look for a closer job anyway.

Comment

The plot thickens. I found a note from another department asking my boss to complete something buried on the desk someplace instead of my mailbox. Then I was asked to complete training today and wasnt given the materials to do it and it doesnt seem to be around anywhere. It kind of seems like they are trying the death by a thousand papercuts heh. They want to accuse me of something just not too much. I cant believe they are firing me for missing a day of work. They must have something major. I will say that the job has been going downhill since I performed a prohibited procedure and turned myself in. They might be taking heat for it. They probably think I am going to be some kind of narc heh. After that they tried to include me in some teams. I mentioned that the residents dont write very good grievences and maybe they should be given classes on how to write them. My boss said we dont want them to know how to write a good grievance. Yes it is time to leave. This job is higher level and a reference from them could get me a mid level job but I can do the same flunky crap that I have been doing for years with the other job as a reference.

Comment

Have you actually been told this is anything but a one day suspension yet? If not, you're putting an awful lot of energy into fighting something that hasn't happened and may not happen.
                      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Maybe since you are so nervous about the pending suspension/termination you have misplaced these items.

I've always been a huge believer in self-fulfilling prophecies. You think you are going to get suspended/fired so your nervous and focused on that instead of on your job duties; thereby making it ineveitable for you to get disciplined.

Aside from that, I agree with others: it is legal for you to be suspended for not going to your scheduled shift.

What they are saying is that I failed to let them know what holidays I wanted off so they scheduled me for all of them. The only one that was trouble was the last one. I have been trying to find someone to cover but no luck
                        It may be hard to hear, but youre the one that didnt tell them you needed off; you assumed they knew you needed off because you never work that shift. If it's hard for you to find someone to cover, its going to be harder for them.

As for your disability: just because you have a disability does not mean you get special treatment for it. You are still expected to show up to work when scheduled.

I know its not what you wanted to hear, but it doesnt seem like you have much of a leg to stand on. I would advise to take your suspension, if you get it. And then let them know which holidays you want off; like they asked.

Comment

No they are laughing about it. I told them that I couldn't find coverage and they said they were glad to here that. I guess I will have to be resigned to the fact that I am going to be suspended and I won't get unemployment. I guess I should have just quit but I am not that retalitory. This was helpful to me to understand that nobody is going to care if I am being treated fairly or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Brant Coyle View Post
                            The plot thickens. I found a note from another department asking my boss to complete something buried on the desk someplace instead of my mailbox.

Then I was asked to complete training today and wasnt given the materials to do it and it doesnt seem to be around anywhere. It kind of seems like they are trying the death by a thousand papercuts heh. They want to accuse me of something just not too much. I cant believe they are firing me for missing a day of work. They must have something major. I will say that the job has been going downhill since I performed a prohibited procedure and turned myself in. They might be taking heat for it. They probably think I am going to be some kind of narc heh. After that they tried to include me in some teams. I mentioned that the residents dont write very good grievences and maybe they should be given classes on how to write them. My boss said we dont want them to know how to write a good grievance. Yes it is time to leave. This job is higher level and a reference from them could get me a mid level job but I can do the same flunky crap that I have been doing for years with the other job as a reference.
                            What I am seeing is fragmented, and disorganized. If you come across to to others the way you come across on this board, it is no wonder that your bosses are confused.

This was helpful to me to understand that nobody is going to care if I am being treated fairly or not.
                            What can the members of this board do? There is "fair" and there is "legal." Any good wordsmith can show you that although the law claims to be fair, someone is always unhappy at the outcome. On here we can point you to what type of lawyer, or which Government agency to contact, but we cannot call your boss and set your holiday schedule. Only you are allowed to do that.

Only you can ask the right questions, and fill out the right paperwork.

Comment

No I am not confused at all. You have been alot of help. What happened is that my team leader after slipping at his house and suffering a concussion, came back and changed the schedule for me to work christmas. The person who was doing the schedule said that there might be a conflict so the team leader called my boss and got approval to schedule me weekends. As it turned out I did not work my other job that weekend so worked it. I then called the team leader to tell him to not schedule me on new years eve because I work it. He said he would try to work around it. When I got in the next week I was scheduled to work new years eve. Both of my jobs want me to show up. My main job gives me very poor almost surreally bad reviews and feels impelled to write me up rather often. and my other job gives me perfect reviews and I never get written up. Now I guess missing a day means that I will be suspended and possibly fired. I am guessing that I am being suspended because I am an overnight and they are hard to cover. It probably has nothing to do with me in this instance your right. Most of the workers and supervisors are horrible alcholics and I bet if you called them new years they would all be at the same party completely drunk. I know this because during crisises I have had to call many of them for backup and they are usually drunk and often at the same party. I believe the discrimination stuff but I have believed that for 4 years mainly from the reviews and supervisorys I have been getting but that would be hard to proove. As far as being penalized for reporting the company, that has been going on for 3 months. Once again that is subtle and hard to prove and it is certain that the company would retaliate in a more serious way than firing and thus likely to backfire. I hope you are not still confused. I don't really care that much about unemployment or a discrimination claim as I am very hireable. I didn't add any detail here because I know that people mainly skim the last thread before answering and detail is boring I know. You are not lawyers I am sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X