This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dress codes as there relate to federal employment codes or bi-laws

My name is Murven C. Kelley. My resident is in New York City, New York. I went to a job interview this week. I was told by the director he wants to hire me because my resume fits the qualifications they are looking for. He said to be employed by them I would have to shave my beard off. I replyed to him I'm a Jew and my sect follow the old law of the Torah call the Fitra to wear a beard. My beard was cut short and neat. He replyed I'm sorry you must follow the dress code we have here. I told him there is a federal code that you can not be bias to ones religious went it comes to dress codes. He said their company is private and they do not have to follow federal employment codes. My question is that true? and if so why?

Discrimination on the Basis of Religion

Federal law prohibiting religious discrimination applies to any employer who has 15 or more employees, private or not. New York City prohibits discrimination by any employer who has four or more employees.

Do you know how many employees this company has?
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

[QUOTE=LConnell]Federal law prohibiting religious discrimination applies to any employer who has 15 or more employees, private or not. New York City prohibits discrimination by any employer who has four or more employees.

Do you know how many employees this company has?[/about 25 to 30 employees.] Is their any legal remedy I can take?

Comment

Discrimination

Yes, you can file a complaint with the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. You can learn more about their complaint process by looking at the following website:http://www.eeoc.gov/

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.
        Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
        www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Working...
        X