X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jessiemac0323
    started a topic Owner covered? Idaho

Owner covered? Idaho

Hello, so my question is:does the owner of the LLC have to be covered by WC? Here is some background, my husband and I have just filed to start a new flooring installation company. We are an LLC, he is listed as the owner, in Idaho we owners of the LLC are not required to carry WC but many of the flooring outlets we will be contracted through require their installers to carry WC. WC is also quite expensive when insuring the owner, should we have somehow listed him as an employee? Thanks for any input!

• HRinMA
    replied
    I will second what ElleMD said. My company requires all new vendors who work on our property to forward a copy of their worker comp insurance policy prior to working. We have turned down companies that don't have worker comp insurance or enough general liability insurance (in the event they damage our property).

Leave a comment:

• Jessiemac0323
    replied
    OK, thank you for the response. I am going to request the coverage even though it isn't required.

Leave a comment:

• ElleMD
    replied
    Here is the thing, the law may exempt you but it is perfectly valid and extremely common to require anyone working on a job to have coverage. It protects the entity hiring you. It also protects you and your business so it isn't a bad idea to have coverage even if not required by law.

Leave a comment:

• cactus jack
    replied
    Originally posted by Jessiemac0323 View Post
    Hello, so my question is:does the owner of the LLC have to be covered by WC? Here is some background, my husband and I have just filed to start a new flooring installation company. We are an LLC, he is listed as the owner, in Idaho we owners of the LLC are not required to carry WC but many of the flooring outlets we will be contracted through require their installers to carry WC. WC is also quite expensive when insuring the owner, should we have somehow listed him as an employee? Thanks for any input!
    Honestly, *I* don't know. I remember back 20+ years ago when I started a business in Colorado I had to do WC, UI, and all the other nice little deductions as if I was an employee. And truly I was.....though I was the ONLY employee. But that is in the late 80's AND it was in Colorado.

My suggestion is to contact the state Small Business Development Center (www.idahosbdc.org/) and consult with them. That really is the best bet for you, and last I knew they won't charge you anything for their consultation/assistance.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X