Can Money Be Returned? Virginia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Money Be Returned? Virginia

A union police officer was fired. This former officer "borrowed" $20,000 froma family member to attend a rehab in the state of TN, and claimed that that money will be returned due to workers compensation.
    Is that all possible? That is all the info I have
    Thanx.
    Your options in the workplace are the three "L's"- Live with it, Lobby for change, or Leave. Screaming for an attorney will do no good most of the time.

Possible, sure. It is possible the same police officer might be the next President of the United States. It is possible my baseball team will win the World Series. But saying something is true does not make it so. I am skeptical.

If the employee was really on worker's comp, why was he fired? Why is the WC not paying the bills directly to the service provider? Why weren't these issues resolved prior to tossing $20K down the nearest black hole?
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

i think this former officer attended this rehab to improve his case in court, as he will want to somehow claim wrongful termination. I see that u have a lot of questions, and I just dont have the answers. I can only give what I was told. He was fired, and I dont think it would make sense that he went on workers comp following his termination, which is why Im asking how on earth would workers comp cover the cost of rehab. Just sounds like, to me, he scammed someone out of 20k just to simply show a judge he is willing to get help.
      Your options in the workplace are the three "L's"- Live with it, Lobby for change, or Leave. Screaming for an attorney will do no good most of the time.

Comment

If he thinks that something he does after termination will somehow magically retroactively make his termination wrongful, he doesn't really understand how it works....
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

This former officer "borrowed" $20,000 from a family member to attend a rehab in the state of TN, and claimed that that money will be returned due to workers compensation.

What kind of rehab are you talking about? Alcohol abuse and/or drug addiction? If so, what does worker's compensation have to do with that?

I suppose it's possible that the officer may repay his family member the $20,000 he borrowed but it's equally as possible that the family member will never see that money again. If the family member didn't get the loan in writing, he or she will likely find it very difficult to successfully sue for it's return.

Comment

As Beth asked, what type of rehab are you talking about - alcohol/drug? ....Or rehab for an injury that happened at work? Thanks.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

In some cases WC does pick up the cost of rehab IF the IW becomes addicted to a medication they take as a result of a work injury. It would not cover the cost of rehab for alcohol or other drugs. Also, keep in mind that WC does not pay the "retail price" for medical care. Nearly every state, including VA, has a set fee schedule which stipulates how much will be paid toward any given treatment. While someone off the street or with private insurance may pay 20K, WC may only pay 15K. That is the risk one takes when they undergo a treatment which has not been authorized by the WC carrier in advance.

Getting any treatment covered after the fact is a crap shoot. Sometimes those treatments are covered and sometimes not. There are no guarantees.
              I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

I am thinking of another way to view the phrase "money will be returned due to workers compensation". Perhaps the officer had a worker comp claim unrelated to the rehab and knows he is getting a settlement from that?

With so few details it is hard to really say.

Comment

That's possible - like you said, not much information furnished. Of course, the person may still not pay back the family member - don't know if there is anything in writing, etc.
                  Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

As with any third party providing so little information... it leaves any responder reading between the lines... these threads can become like the "great American novel''.

Lets presume for a moment... this police officer did file a injury report and has an accepted WC claim.
                    After exhausting his FMLA and/or CBA qualifying leave, he is in fact released/terminated justifiably by the Dept.
                    Surely no "wrongful termination'' issues there. (that said, I don't see the connection between the rehab issue and termination)

IW's always run the risk of self procured treatment not being reimbursed. And, as ElleMD said, at the "retail" price paid. Ultimately, a WC judge will be the tirer of fact here. Ultimately, whether or not there will be reimbursement ordered will depend on Dr's reports, and reasonable medical necessity.
                    A union police officer was fired. This former officer "borrowed" $20,000 froma family member to attend a rehab in the state of TN, and claimed that that money will be returned due to workers compensation.
                    Is that all possible? That is all the info I have
                    Yes... I guess. There are several issues here... and to tell the truth, Im not sure what your question is (or with regards to what issue )

Comment

what about WC covering PTSS caused from years of being a police officer? Im thinking that may be the reason for rehab.
                      Thanx for the responses. I am trying to give as much info as possible. This is the type of person who just "borrowed" money all of his life, and my 1st thought is thinking he thinks the one he borrowed from isn't intelligent enough to figure this out, and IM trying to get as much info as possible.

Comment

What is the rehab for? Rehab can mean so many things that it is impossible to judge why W/C would be involved. Rehab could mean an addiction, it could mean for a physical injury. I personally have never heard of rehab for PTSD.

Comment

We really can't be of much help to you based on the limited information furnished.

Comment

If you are talking about substance abuse rehab due to stress on the job, no WC is not going to cover that. If you are talking about inpatient psychological care, the chances are slightly better.

There is absolutely no guarantee no matter what the scenario that the full 20K will be repaid to the giver. WC is not going to pay a third party and they are not going to pay more than the law stipulates that they may. Best case scenario, the fee for medical care will be paid directly to the facility or the IW. What happens from that point is between the one loaning the money and the one accepting it.
                            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

As I always heard, never loan money to a family member or friend - not w/o a written contract at least.

Comment

Working...
                              X