This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• side jobs in ccalifornia California

My question pertains to unemployment in California.

I am currently receiving $450 per week on unemployment. 2 weeks ago I worked and reported 2 side jobs of 16 and 10 hours. The jobs were both for companies. I got a letter from the EDD saying I filed a claim as if they were my last employer. And the last company also got a letter.
    how does this effect my claim and clarify the situation.

I am always loath to comment on documents that I have not actually read, but in general you just report all wages earned to CA-EDD. This may or may not cause a temporary reduction in benefits, but as long as you report the wages, you should be fine. The temporary reduction in benefits (if any) would be for less then the amount paid by what you are calling "side jobs".

If I understand your question, you filed the claim before you did the work on these side jobs. Is that true? Or is the real issue that your employer for these "side jobs" was also one of your employers prior to you filing the claim. If you had more then one employer and you were terminated from one of them, then this is legally a different situation from saying that you had only one employer originally, terminated from that employer, and then did some temporary work for a new employer.

The key is that you do not want to surprise CA-EDD. If the facts you presented to CA-EDD originally turn out to be different then represented, that is always a potential problem. If you correctly reported the facts when you first filed, and correctly reported any subsequent wages, then I do not see a problem.

Also, just to be clear, the phrase "side jobs" is just a phrase that you made up that does not actually mean anything to CA-EDD.
    Last edited by DAW; 10-31-2011, 02:10 PM.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

thank you for your response. I filed a claim in June after a layoff after 3 years with the company. Over the years I've done some work outside this job ( always reported to irs).

The companies I did side work for didn't lay me off, but contracted me for a few hours. I don't want to be labeled a contractor and lose benefits for doing a bit of work on the side.

Comment

Reporting to IRS is fine (and required) but I am talking about something else. IRS has nothing what-so-ever to do with CA UI claims. I am unclear why you are raising IRS as an issue.
        - If you have a UI claim, you must report all earnings while the claim is running to CA-EDD.
        - I do not know what you told CA EDD when you first filed your claim, but if you had jobs with other employers at the time you claimed termination from whatever employer you filed the claim against, hopefully you spelled that out to CA-EDD at that time. If not, CA-EDD may indeed take exception.
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Working...
        X