This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter of intent to leave Michigan

I am looking for a new job after being at my current place of employment for over 10 years. I feel it would be a little strange to tell hiring managers during an interview that they cannot contact my boss. I'm wondering if I write a formal letter of my intent to leave, saying that I will stay until I find a new job [/U]and then give the proper 2 weeks notice, if they decide to let me go, can I claim unemployment?

You can always file. Whether you will get it or not will be up to the state. I'd say your chances are pretty good but as DAW puts it, the state does not care even a little bit what I think.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Plus, the employer could legally consider this a resignation and choose to accept it immediately and walk you out the door.

Most reputable HR professionals will not contact your current employer if you request them not to; they understand that. But legally, they could.

I see absolutely NO upside in submitting this "letter of intent". When you find your new job, THEN submit your resignation.
      Last edited by Pattymd; 09-17-2010, 01:08 PM.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I agree with Patty. A "letter of intent to leave" could be considered
        a resignation. I wouldn't submit one.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

You can be employed and 'feel' akward, or unemployed and feel 'good.' Get over it!

I would venture to say, that most hiring managers will understand you not wanting them to contact your current employer.

Writing the letter in my opinion is very similiar to a resignation.
          Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

Working...
          X