This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it too late to file? Florida

Hi, I was laid off in June 2009. It's now November... is it too late to file for unemployment? I was working there for 4 years. I thought that I would find a job, but that has not been the case. I didn't file for unemployment before due to stupid pride. Now, I'm getting desperate, and I need help.

Can someone please tell me if I can still be eligible even though I waited so long to file?

Thanks,
    Victor

No it isn't too late to file, but you most likely won't get back benefits.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

You also may receive a smaller benefit than you would have if you had filed earlier, depending on exactly what your state uses as a look-back period.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Regarding back benefits, according to the Agency for Workforce Innovation FAQs,

3. Can my claim be backdated to when I became unemployed?
        The Florida Unemployment Compensation Law, as stated in Florida Statutes Chapter 443, requires that the effective date of your claim must be the Sunday prior to the date you file your claim. By law, your claim cannot be retroactively backdated to the date of job separation which began the period of your unemployment.
        Last edited by Betty3; 01-19-2010, 10:10 AM.
        Retaining an effective lawyer is really no different than any other type of shopping. Take your time. Do your research. Weigh your options. Bids From Lawyers

Comment

Richard, this thread is two months old - I believe the poster has their answer by now.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
          X