This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• workers comp/fmla Maryland

I injured my right shoulder in may of last year, had mri and surgery in september. for whatever reason, mri was not recommended initially. after surgery i remained off of work for 9 weeks. my second week back to work on light duty, i ruptured my L5-S1 disc. because that happened middle of december, and because of second consecutive work claim back to back, my second injury i guess raised some eyebrows. these are my first ever claims. i know it's irrelevant but, i am not a get rich quick kind of guy. I spent all of december and january, without pay (and without treatment). finally approved claim, I was able to start my treatment. today is tuesday, march 4th. My company asked me for my company vehicle back due to a handful of new hires, (i didn't believe that reason) which i delivered to them on sunday. now, today (tuesday) my company phone has been turned off. I have never been a questionable employee, and further more, have been considered one of the top employees. should I be alarmed about any laws that allow this to happen. I haven't technically been fired or laid off yet, but I can smell what's in the wind. I am still on workmans comp temp perm disability of 848 per week, until a doctor says to get back to work.
    any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, mb from bmore

I see you titled your thread WC/FMLA. If you qualified for FMLA (12 weeks of unpd. job protected leave within every 12 mo. period) & you have used up all your leave, your job is no longer protected. Your employer can terminate you since you are unable to return to work.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

In MD? Not much by way of recourse. Once FMLA expires there really isn't any protection. While there is an anti-discrimination clause on the books, it is something of a joke. Where the Commission makes up for it is in higher PPD awards when you get to that point. There isn't anything official that states this, but ask anyone who deals with claims and you'll hear the same.

BTW, the term is TTD or temporary total disability. There is no temporary permanent disability.
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

I thank you both for your replies. the whole situation is painstaking as i am sure you both know.

Comment

You're welcome - good luck to you.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
          X