Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder not recognized by VA WC according to city's insurer Virginia

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Traumatic Stress Disorder not recognized by VA WC according to city's insurer Virginia

First of all, I am a police officer involved in a shooting with left me with Post Traumatic stress disorder my psychiatric doctors all agree with their findings. I filed a claim with Virginia WC, and got a letter from the city's insurer that after their investigation, they stated that my claim for PTSD is not covered under provisions allowed by the VA WC act. Therefore, we must deny your claim for benefits.
    Anyone in VA know if this is true? Shall I hire aWC lawyer to handle my claim?

• David123
    replied
    Originally posted by ElleMD
    To a veteran suffering from PTSD as the result of combat, there is a world of difference.

I suggest counseling. I also suggest, not hijacking threads with personal diatribes that do not help the OP.
    (PTSD) is a serious issue, It also helps to talk it out with as many other victims as possible with the same condition, medicaly speaking of course.
    no I do not claim to be a doctor but as a patient I can testify what this can do to another person. If the OP wants to discuss this further with another victim he can ask or get in touch with me. (PTSD) can happen to anybody. thank you
    Last edited by David123; 09-24-2006, 05:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stiffnecked
    replied
    Thanks, CBG. I have been putting up with PTSD for 22 years now. Exactly the same deal as Virginia. Just happened in a different state. I still don't understand David 123's issues....

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    Okay, I'm not going to lock this thread YET. But I will be watching it very closely and will not hesitate to do so if need be. I will also not hesitate to have people's membership's pulled if I have to.

David, I am talking directly to you. This is another poster's thread. To hijack it for your own personal vents is not going to be allowed. If you have a LEGAL question, you may post your own thread. Otherwise, keep your personal peeves about how your case was handled out of it.

Leave a comment:

• ElleMD
    replied
    Originally posted by David123

soldier in a war or Worker doing his job what is the difference. I was defending my job as a soldier would defend his country.
    To a veteran suffering from PTSD as the result of combat, there is a world of difference.

I suggest counseling. I also suggest, not hijacking threads with personal diatribes that do not help the OP.

Leave a comment:

• Stridor
    replied
    Originally posted by Police in Virginia
    First of all, I am a police officer involved in a shooting with left me with Post Traumatic stress disorder my psychiatric doctors all agree with their findings. I filed a claim with Virginia WC, and got a letter from the city's insurer that after their investigation, they stated that my claim for PTSD is not covered under provisions allowed by the VA WC act. Therefore, we must deny your claim for benefits.
    Bro, PTSD is recognized by the federal government as well as all established medical doctrines. Go to your union, go to your doctors and get lots of letters, go to the city you work for, go to anyone who will listen. The VA did not recognize PTSD for many years and if virginia does not then maybe you can be the one who makes them. You might also try for some kind of temporary disability or even disability through Social security or something. I don't know the specifics of your situation but, by all means get some help brother. PTSD has ended the careers, and in some cases, the lives of some of the best medics and cops I have ever known.

Leave a comment:

• stiffnecked
    replied
    Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

PTSD occurs as the result of a single violent event or a series of violent events such as what a soldier in a war would experience. David 123, what you descirbe is not PTSD. What physcian said you had PTSD? Your going to have to have been diagnosied by a professional if you expect to file a claim for something like this. Are you trying to say that your were physically raped?

Leave a comment:

• AL HR
    replied
    How is being falsely accused of sexual harassment on the job considered a violent crime?

When violent crime statistics are compiled, it's for rape, murder, armed robbery, etc. but being falsely accused of sexual harassment? Color me baffled..

Leave a comment:

• cyjeff
    replied
    Couldn't hurt.

Leave a comment:

• ElleMD
    replied
    Mental Health claims are hard to prove, but if you have evidence that points to a definite diagnosis and a cause that is related to work, by all means appeal. If you opt to appeal, I would recommend hiring a lawyer.

Leave a comment:

• SBetts
    replied
    Ptsd

Originally posted by Police in Virginia
    I too am on medical leave for Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. I was a vicitim of a very violent crime on the job (who knew accounting was that dangerous). I was granted disability through my employment disability insurance- However - They call me monthly and harass me to the point where my psychiatrist told them to leave me alone they were making me worse. This all could have been prevented if the employer had listened to me about this individual being in the building - I finally moved to the country hoping to find a little peace and quiet (the panic attacks) Ohio Laws stink on this sort of thing. Good luck - a good psychiatrist is hard to come by. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X