Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unpaid days off for salaried employees.

My California employer pays most of his office staff (including me) a salary. We all work 10 hour days M-F without any breaks for lunch.

He also has certain days of the year where the business is closed for various reasons. These days are defined as "voluntary" days off and salaried employees are not paid for them.

Also salaried employees are not paid for any days missed at work for any reason. One sick day is an unpaid day.

What is the law concerning these practices; 50 hour work weeks, unpaid closed and sick days?

Originally posted by us2nphyde
    My California employer pays most of his office staff (including me) a salary. We all work 10 hour days M-F without any breaks for lunch.

He also has certain days of the year where the business is closed for various reasons. These days are defined as "voluntary" days off and salaried employees are not paid for them.

Also salaried employees are not paid for any days missed at work for any reason. One sick day is an unpaid day.

What is the law concerning these practices; 50 hour work weeks, unpaid closed and sick days?
    Any time worked beyond 40 hours qualifies for overtime wage rate. Plus if no lunch breaks are allowed then employer has to pay 1 hour of wages extra for each work day. This is as per the California Law

Employer is not required to pay for the days which business is closed. Also sick day does not qulaify for being a paid day. However, this also depends on the agreement between the employer and employee.

Comment

Originally posted by us2nphyde

Salaried employees are known as "exempt" employees and are not subject to overtime or paid days off.
      The FLSA Federal Labor Standards Acts has provisions for hourl employees but the same regulations do not apply to salaried employees. Basically, you are paid by the year, not by the day or the week.
      Sue
      FORUM MODERATOR

www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Working...
      X