This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced to work OT

I work for a major retailer. I recently learned that in a perticular area of our business, that employees are told they have to stay late or even work on their days off. If they refuse, they are written up and eventually terminated for repeat occurences. These are all Hourly employees.
    Is that legal?

Forced to work OT

Originally posted by Stu
    I work for a major retailer. I recently learned that in a perticular area of our business, that employees are told they have to stay late or even work on their days off. If they refuse, they are written up and eventually terminated for repeat occurences. These are all Hourly employees.
    Is that legal?
    It is legal for an employer to require hourly employees to work overtime as long as they are paying the employees overtime pay at the rate of 1.5 times their regular pay for hours in excess of 40 during the work week. They cannot, however, require them to work for no extra pay.

If the employees are refusing to work the hours requested/required by the employer, it doesn't seem unreasonable for the employees to be written up and/or terminated.

Comment

Working...
    X