This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• max hours worked in a day New Jersey

i work for a company in new jersey that requires i be on call, once every 6 weeks for 7 days. when i am oncall my shift changes to allow me to come in 2 hours later but also work 2 hours later a full 10 hour shift. when my shift ends i am oncall.this is were the problems start. it is sometimes possible that i can end my shift and be called out to work and may be out working an additional 4 hours 6 hours and sometime 10 hours. is there any law in new jersey stating maximum hours allowed to work and how much time off in between? i am paid overtime for my hours worked, but sometimes i'm to tired from working thru the night to make my required shift start. i was told i may come in laterand either have the overtime i worked revert back to straight time or use any personal, sick, or vaction time i have available otherwise i have to report at the schedule start time. can anyone help here?

is there any law in new jersey stating maximum hours allowed to work and how much time off in between? No. I'm not aware of any State having such a law. A few States require "one day of rest in seven" but that's it.

All you can do is talk to your employer and see if they're willing to be more reasonable on your work schedule demands. I don't blame you for being tired.

Comment

I believe the state of Maine has a limit on how many hours of overtime an employee can be asked to work in a single week. Outside of that I agree with Beth.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
      X