Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deduct money off of employee's paycheck.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deduct money off of employee's paycheck.

I recently had a situation with my boss. He is claiming that he is going to take $ 250 out of my check. I have been working for him for 2 years and have never made a mistake. Other people that work here have made mistakes numerous times costing him $1000. The one mistake I made, he wants to take it out of my check. Is that possible? I just don't think it is right. Can he really do something like that? It is just a small business located in the state of Illinois. Thanks.

Payroll deductions

Originally posted by Amer
    I recently had a situation with my boss. He is claiming that he is going to take $ 250 out of my check. I have been working for him for 2 years and have never made a mistake. Other people that work here have made mistakes numerous times costing him $1000. The one mistake I made, he wants to take it out of my check. Is that possible? I just don't think it is right. Can he really do something like that? It is just a small business located in the state of Illinois. Thanks.
    In general, payroll deductions are only lawful in a couple of situations:

1) where the employer is required to do so by law--as in federal and state taxes, Social Security, worker's compensation, or a garnishment order.

2) where the employee has authorized the deduction in writing and the deduction is for the employee's benefit.

If you have not agreed to the deduction in writing (and it sounds like you haven't), you may want to contact the Illinois Department of Labor at 312-793-2800 for further guidance.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
    X