This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• labor practice with a work permit

I was 15 yrs old when I started working in December of 2004 in the state of Maryland. I had a work permit that said that I could only work until 9pm during school, but my employer had me working until 10:15pm and sometimes we did not get out until much later. He would change my schedule times without notice. Now that it is summertime he cut my hours, but he is still hiring other people. When I asked him why, he was very nasty and very disrespectful. When he hired me he knew that I didn't drive and I could only work nights because my parents had to work during the day and couldn't get there until they got off work. I was very hurt by his comments. I decided not to go back to work. I did not call and I did not show up for that shift. I was not scheduled for that day. Only when I questioned him about why he took my day away and he yelled at me, he then told me to come work. After I didn't show up he told everyone that he fired me. He gave me a raise in May and now he has decided that he wants to take it away and pay me my last check without my raise. I should of gotten my check on July 1st but he wants me to sign for it and I won't with out the money he owes me. Is this fair? What are my rights?

I'm sorry you had a unfortunate work experience. No laws require your boss to be a nice person though.

I decided not to go back to work. I did not call and I did not show up for that shift. I was not scheduled for that day. Only when I questioned him about why he took my day away and he yelled at me, he then told me to come work. After I didn't show up he told everyone that he fired me. Um, I expect he did fire you even if he didn't formally notify you of that. He told you to report to work and you didn't.

If your boss violated MD's child labor laws, then you or your parents are free to contact MD's Department of Labor. Regarding your final wages, the question is whether MD's wage and hour laws require advance notification of a wage reduction. I can't answer that but if you call your Department of Labor, they can tell you.

Comment

Working...
    X