This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overtime after 8 hrs. or 40 hrs?

I work fill time in a dental office. I am reg. dental assist. is overtime after 8 hrs. or 40 hrs.

Overtime is after 40hrs thats what I heard from other people.

Wilson

Comment

Overtime is in excess of 40 hours

Overtime is paid to non-exempt employees for hours worked in excess of 40 in any given workweek. A workweek is a fixed and regularly recurring period of 168 hours or seven consecutive 24-hour periods. It may begin on any day and at any hour of the day, and different employees or workgroups may have different workweeks. You are not permitted to average your hours over two or more weeks.

Karen

Comment

OT pay

Originally posted by Sandy
        I work fill time in a dental office. I am reg. dental assist. is overtime after 8 hrs. or 40 hrs.
        An employer who requires or permits an employee to work overtime is generally required to pay the employee premium pay for such overtime work. Employees covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) must receive overtime pay for hours worked in excess of 40 in a workweek of at least one and one-half times their regular rates of pay. The FLSA does not require overtime pay for work on Saturdays, Sundays, holidays, or regular days of rest.
        Sue
        FORUM MODERATOR

www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

alittlemiffed

to be honest from what i understand all places differ. Go to your employee hand book and see what it says, if it says after 8, then that is what it is. It is standard practice however for most places to say after 40, that way they can guarantee that u will work your 40 hrs... and to pay after 8 well most places dont to do that. If u signed paperwork before the 40 hr thing went into affect u might be able to get it grandfathered in and get back wages, it happened where I worked in Kansas-- what a nice ck that was

Comment

It is a matter of state law.

Under Federal law and the law of most states it is after 40 hours in a week. In California and one or two other states it is after 8 hours in a day. It has nothing to do with when you signed your paperwork. A company MAY elect to pay overtime for more than 8 in a day in states when it is not required, but why would they?
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
            X