This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Payment for accrued vacation & sick time in michigan

I am probably going to submit my termination notice to a company I have worked for for the last 4 years. I know from past experience that the company is probably going to refuse to compensate me for approx 110 hours of unused vacation time & 45 hours of unused sick time. Is this legal in Michigan?

In Michigan, an employer is only required to pay out either vacation or sick time if there is a written company contract or policy committing them to doing so. They are not required to pay out either vacation or sick time on termination unless company policy or contract says they will.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

vacation time

In SC, I was recently teminated from my job, can I request that they pay me for my vacation time immediately or do I have to wait until the pay period ends.

Comment

From S.C's DOL website:

State law does not require an employer to provide an employee with benefits such as vacation, sick leave, health insurance, lunch hour, break time, etc. However, if an employer decides to do so, he must give notice of the policy to the employee in writing and abide by the policy. The employer has the option of giving individual notification or posting the terms conspicuously at or near the place of work. Any changes in these terms must be given to the employee in writing at least seven calendar days before they become effective.

When an employee is separated from the payroll, voluntarily or involuntarily, every employer must pay all wages due to the employee within 48 hours of the time of separation or the next regular pay day which may not exceed 30 days.

In other words, whether your employer must pay you for earned but unused vacation is a matter of company policy.

Comment

Working...
        X