This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio break laws

At my current place of employment, after six hours of work a half hour break is immediately taken out of our time clock.

The problem is, I am not permitted to take a full half hour break during my shift, yet it takes special permission (which is often not granted) to have the upper management replace the time they have taken away from me on the time clock.

We are not allowed to leave our work area to sit down and eat nor are we able to leave the building. They expect if we are to eat lunch, that we snack during our shift, but do not leave our work station.

While it is my understanding that no company is forced to give out breaks, I also find it upsetting that if they do choose to dock your time for a break, shouldn't we have the right to leave our work station and take an actual break?

They cannot legally dock your pay for a break you have not taken. If you work through your break, you have to be paid for it.

Contact your state DOL and file a complaint.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X