This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mis-punch penalty

I am an employer in the state of GA, and have become increasingly frustrated with the habits of hourly employees at the time clock. It seems employees are forgeting their time clock badges at home, forgetting to clock in or forgetting to clock in from meal breaks. I am trying to come up with a solution to this on going problem... one way (I thought) that would help, is getting thier supervisors involved, apparently, that has not worked. Is it lawful to penalize an individual for 'mis-use' of the time clock? If so, what kind of penalties are we allowed to use (if you could offer suggestions it could help).

Is it lawful to penalize an individual for 'mis-use' of the time clock? Financially penalize employees? Absolutely not, tempting though that may be.

If so, what kind of penalties are we allowed to use (if you could offer suggestions it could help). What you can do is discipline employees for failing to follow company rules. In order to do that, you need to get the buy-in from senior management so that they in turn will require their supervisors to follow-through when payroll notifies them of repeat offenders. I also strongly suggest that all employees be notified in advance what the consequences will be for those who forget their time badges and/or fail to clock in and out as required under company work rules.

The reality of your situation is that until some consequences occur, many if your employees are going to continue to ignore this requirement. If you do initiate disciplinary procedures, start with your very worst offenders. Word will get around fast that the company means business and most of your other employees will comply without need for further action. Unfortunately, you will have several who "forget" again and again and again - the most likely cause of which is that they're covering up a tardy/extended break situation. You're going to need to be prepared to follow-through with progressive discipline, up to and including termination.

Comment

Working...
    X