This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa regulations question..

Just wondering, I'm a studen working in Iowa part time, and have noticed that my employer has been cutting hours that his employees have worked off their checks. After speaking with him, he said that it was that the company that took care of the payroll was adding in breaks automatically for any shift that was worked over 4 hours. Is there anything in Iowa law that would even hint at that? I've looked at what limited resources I have available and have not found anything.

In addition, my employer may not have the prior records of his employees work times, as he told me, he wasn't aware he needed to keep the records. If that really is the case, and the labor department were to pay him a visit, would they be able to properly audit him, or would he just end up with fines from them and not having to pay off his employees.

I apologize for the lack of clarity above, it's late and I'm a little frustrated.

Just wondering, I'm a studen working in Iowa part time, and have noticed that my employer has been cutting hours that his employees have worked off their checks. After speaking with him, he said that it was that the company that took care of the payroll was adding in breaks automatically for any shift that was worked over 4 hours. Is there anything in Iowa law that would even hint at that? I've looked at what limited resources I have available and have not found anything. In every State, non-exempt (hourly paid) employees must be paid for all time worked. It sounds very much like your employer is in violation of federal and State laws. It is not legal for the employer or payroll administrator to automatically deduct time for breaks if breaks are not provided or are worked through.

In addition, my employer may not have the prior records of his employees work times, as he told me, he wasn't aware he needed to keep the records. If that really is the case, and the labor department were to pay him a visit, would they be able to properly audit him, or would he just end up with fines from them and not having to pay off his employees. What IS your employer thinking??? He is required by law to maintain an accurate record of hours worked by all non-exempt employees. If he is thinking not having those records will keep him out of trouble if he is audited or someone makes a complaint, he is badly mistaken. In the absence of the employer having any records, the DOL will go by whatever hours the employees say they worked. Plus he'll be fined by the State or feds and it's hard to imagine they won't consider this a willful violation, in which case the fines and penalties will be even more substantial.

If you and your co-workers wish to file a complaint, you may contact Iowa's Department of Labor.

Comment

Working...
    X