This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunch and Breaks in Michigan

I am a full time employee required to work 71/2 - 8 hours per day and am being threatened by human resources that if my work is not completed by the end of the day, that I will not be allowed (2) fifteen minute breaks and no lunch hours. Can they do this?

Yes, they can. Federal law does not require an employer to give any breaks at all. Michigan law only requires breaks for minors, not for adult employees. So they have no legal obligation to provide any breaks regardless of whether you finish your work or not.

I'm not saying I agree with the way they are handling it but they are not breaking any laws.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg
      Yes, they can. Federal law does not require an employer to give any breaks at all. Michigan law only requires breaks for minors, not for adult employees. So they have no legal obligation to provide any breaks regardless of whether you finish your work or not.

I'm not saying I agree with the way they are handling it but they are not breaking any laws.
      Can they not allow a lunch hour with a work schedule of 71/2 - 8 hour day?

Comment

They can. They are not required to.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
        X