Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wages New York

hello,
    I work for a non-profit in NYS, 40 hours/week, salary. We get paid every other week. I pay for part of my health insurance and they pay for part. It just went up, so even more will be taken out. once this happens, my take home pay will be come out to less than the minimum wage - is there anything I can do about it?
    Thanks in advance!

No. The minimum wage calculation does not take into account "voluntary" deductions such as taxes or benefits or even things like child support or garnishments. The calculation is based on total wages prior to those deductions, not after. I know many people who work just to be able to pay for health insurance for the family or other deductions.

All you can do is ask for a raise, which they are not required to give you. I would suspect that it is harder to increase wages at a non-profit than at a for-profit type employer and also harder for them to take on any more of the larger premium either.

You can check to see if your employer coverage is still deemed as "affordable" under the PPACA. If they are considered a large employer, they would be charged a fee for it not being "affordable". If it is not, you can go to the exchange to see if you can find better cover/lower premiums and possibly a subsidy (depending on your whole family's income). Unfortunately health insurance premiums are going up for a large percentage of the population.

Comment

ok - thank you. I thought that was the deal but figured I'd question it anyways. Boo.

]No. The minimum wage calculation does not take into account "voluntary" deductions such as taxes or benefits or even things like child support or garnishments. The calculation is based on total wages prior to those deductions, not after. I know many people who work just to be able to pay for health insurance for the family or other deductions.

All you can do is ask for a raise, which they are not required to give you. I would suspect that it is harder to increase wages at a non-profit than at a for-profit type employer and also harder for them to take on any more of the larger premium either.

You can check to see if your employer coverage is still deemed as "affordable" under the PPACA. If they are considered a large employer, they would be charged a fee for it not being "affordable". If it is not, you can go to the exchange to see if you can find better cover/lower premiums and possibly a subsidy (depending on your whole family's income). Unfortunately health insurance premiums are going up for a large percentage of the population.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
      X