Hours manipulation Florida

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hours manipulation Florida

This is my first post, So I hope i have posted in the right area and provided the right info.

While working for a large company as a manger, we would have issues with employer's being underpayed. I would bring this up with higher mangment, and was always told it was dealt with. Earlyer this year, I was in the room and witnessed our payroll manger "****ing" hours. Moving them from one week to the next in order to meet labor goals. I objected, and was told not to worrie they do it all the time. At this point i started to take closer note of my employees hours, Not only were there hours being cut from one week, they were not being replaced. At a later date, I once more sat in the office and watched the HR manger Cut 2.5 hours from 3 peoples pay check, to which i objected. At which point she told me we had to do it to get extra pay. I started working my way up the management chain, all the way to the director. Who told me i needed to be a team player, and no rock the boat. I asked for the HR directors contract info, to which i was told "I don't have it". Over the next few days, my life was a living hell, i was forced to work over 70 hours in one week, once the check came in, it only had 40 hours on it. As well as my employees missing 5 hours each. I took it up with my assistant director, which ended up in him calling me derogatory names and physical threats. At which point i walked out.

What i was wondering is who should i contract? This is not so much about me, I have a good skill set, I can find another job. But those people under me were cheated out of money. I can't help but feel at fault.

I would like to point out, that i personally witnessed the hours being cut. But if i had access to the time logs i could find tons of times that it was done to them. I started to print them off before i left, but i did not know if I was allowed to do so.

You are, unfortunately, in one of the worst states for this to happen since Florida has no state DOL. If it were just you I'd suggest a small claims action, but if this is happening to a number of people that's not effective. You can file a wage claim with the US DOL but they will only support Federal minimum wage and overtime. Truly, I think in this situation your best option is to talk to an attorney.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I agree, you need an attorney's guidance for this. Look for someone who specializes in labor law, and usually you can find one who will at least do an initial consultation for little or no cost, and you can go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by ferretrick View Post
        I agree, you need an attorney's guidance for this. Look for someone who specializes in labor law, and usually you can find one who will at least do an initial consultation for little or no cost, and you can go from there.
        Thanks to both of you for your comments. I will call some one in the morning.

Comment

Working...
        X