X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hours and pay changed Nevada

Thanks for all the help
    Last edited by Lessinformed; 11-22-2014, 08:30 AM.

First of all, let's correct your terminology. Right to work means you can't be forced to join a union in order to get work. It has nothing to do with your situation. 49 states (and sometimes the 50th) are employment at will states, which is what you mean.

It is 100% your employer's opt what hours you work and what you get paid. If you didn't get paid for all the hours that you actually worked you have recourse through the state DOL. But if he wants you to work Mondays, you work Mondays. Even if he initially agreed otherwise, he can change his mind every week and there is nothing in the law that will say he can't. I doubt if an email will count as a legally binding agreement to work Tuesday -Thursday in perpetuity. You can show it to a Nevada attorney if you like, but I'm not holding my breath.

Your best bet is probably going to be simply to find another job and quit this one when you do.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
      First of all, let's correct your terminology. Right to work means you can't be forced to join a union in order to get work. It has nothing to do with your situation. 49 states (and sometimes the 50th) are employment at will states, which is what you mean.

It is 100% your employer's opt what hours you work and what you get paid. If you didn't get paid for all the hours that you actually worked you have recourse through the state DOL. But if he wants you to work Mondays, you work Mondays. Even if he initially agreed otherwise, he can change his mind every week and there is nothing in the law that will say he can't. I doubt if an email will count as a legally binding agreement to work Tuesday -Thursday in perpetuity. You can show it to a Nevada attorney if you like, but I'm not holding my breath.

Your best bet is probably going to be simply to find another job and quit this one when you do.
      Thank you for the response!

So in other words he can dictate over my life? I had to go out and find an additional income after confirming the new schedule he wanted to implement because of pay cut and there's nothing I can do if it effects other obligations after the fact? Like if i refuse to work another day I am in the wrong? Don't really understand how that is just or fair

Comment

I do not intend this as harshly as it will sound.

The law does not give a hoot if it is either just or fair. As a friend on another board says, there is no Bureau of Fair overseeing employers. Fair is where you go to ride the Ferris wheel and eat cotton candy. The law is only concerned with legal. It is legal for him to give you a different schedule every week if he wants to, and as long as you are paid no less than minimum wage times hours worked (the higher of state or Federal, if different) and overtime if it is worked, the law will consider that you have been paid correctly.

The reason is is legal is that there is no law that says it is illegal. Your options are to work the hours he wants you to work, or to find other work that will give you all the hours you need to fulfill your obligations. He has no legal obligation to take your needs into consideration - his responsibility is to the needs of the business.

Yes, it's crappy. No one is saying otherwise. It is, however, legal.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
        X