Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Employer is paying my wages semi monthly, but at an average amount.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employer is paying my wages semi monthly, but at an average amount.

I would like your opinion on how I am paid by my employer. I have never been paid this way before, and I don't know what to think of it.

I work full time and I am paid an hourly wage, not salary. I receive my paycheck semi-monthly and dates fall on the 1st and the 15th.

What I find strange, is that my semi-monthly paycheck is always the same amount, regardless of the number of hours I work per pay period. My employer takes my total annual hours, which can be accurately calculated, and divides it by the 24 pay periods of the year to get an average amount of hours every pay period. So lets say there are a total of 260 working days and paid holidays in 2014. I consistently work 8 hour shifts, so that would give me 2080 hours a year. If you take that 2080 hours and divide it by the 24 pay periods you get 86.67 hours a period. I am paid and taxed on that amount each period.

It appears to work fine but for some reason it makes me feel uneasy. It's just that I've never heard this method of paying employees.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

B

Do you ever work overtime and if so, do you get paid for it?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Overtime

I have not. They will do everything in their power to prevent us from going into overtime. If that would ever happen I'm sure that they would add it in.

Comment

If you're not being shorted on overtime, and if you're being paid at or more than minimum wage times hours worked, I'm not seeing any problems.

The employer is required by law to keep an exact record of how many hours you work, but he could be keeping that separately. And if he isn't, that's his problem, not yours.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

if you work consistent 8 hr shifts that's fine but be aware that time if you do go over 8 is NOT averaged over two weeks/15 days but essentially over 7 consecutive days ....and I may bungle the math on 15 day..just double check OT math if you do put in a long week..it is not OK to,average it down by a light next week. I know you didn't address OT directly..as its not a relevant current point .

I agree...no probem as posted.

Comment

I specifically asked her if she worked overtime. She specifically stated that she did not, AND that she had confidence that her employer would pay it if she worked it.

Is it just that you don't read? Or that you like the sound of your own cyber-voice?

Comment

You are being paid as non-exempt salaried. This is how I worked payroll for my last 4 employers, and I think it's very common to do it this way. Throughout the year, most pay periods have 15 days, but some have 16, and one had 13. Depending on when the weekends fell, you could have far less or far more worked hours. Getting paid the same amount each time makes it easier to budget, for both employer and employee. Hope that helps.

Comment

I have received my paycheck for the 1st through the 15th with the usual average amount by electronic deposit. I have 3 hours of overtime within one of those workweeks. My employer requires us to turn in our time sheets within a few days after payment. This is the first time I have had overtime apply to me and I am about to give them my time sheet. Should they give me additional payment now or would that go on the next paycheck?

Comment

When I handled payroll, I required timesheets to be submitted more often than your employee (each workweek). If presented with 3 hours overtime right after payroll, I would typically roll that into the next pay period's payroll reporting. No way to know until you ask.

Comment

Working...
                  X